Big Data, Big Brother

Forget privacy in this digital age. While looking online at an item on Crutchfield’s site, I called their customer service for more info. Without asking me any questions, the sales rep knew exactly which item and which webpage I was looking at. I’ve never done business with Crutchfield before - meaning they wouldn’t already have my info in their database.    If marketing software can do this, just think what black hats can do.  Pretty scary stuff.    
steakster
Post removed 
Changing cable company yesterday, took about an hour between the two. Little after that phone rings, caller id says it’s directtv. Coincidence? I think not.
It’s like cell phones, pick your poison, apple or droid. Google, to me, is the worse of the two but both sell your info.

Most sites you visit guilty of it, ever notice the disclaimer you got over the last few years letting you know they share your data?

Funniest was I stopped at a local barbershop few weeks back. They wanted my name, phone number, and email. I started laffin, I don’t so...
Facial recognition being put into place now days, scary where technology has taken us, no privacy.
One of these days, it’s virtually assured, DNA will be universally used for ID purposes. I think it’s hilarious, that so many are signing up and actually paying others, to catalog their DNA profiles, family histories and backgrounds, when identity theft is rampant and privacy, a thing of the past. Your personal information, is one of the highest ticket/best selling items on the market, these days. ie: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-data-brokers-selling-your-personal-information/ and(more nefarious): https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/heres-how-much-your-personal-information-is-selling-for-...
It's like they're trying their damnedest to be telepathic, the ultimate voyeur, the peeping tom you can't get away from. 

I see why some long for days of old.

All the best,
Nonoise
Cell phone # is used now, the way social security # used to be used, to uniquely identify each person uniquely.  Then there's cross-referenced contacts, from each phone, matching names and phone # that all apps upload...