Isn't a wondeful time to be an audiophile?

With all the new lower or intro priced vs. performance gear coming out recently. And with choices of sources, CD/ Streaming. I'm just thinking of how it must be for the newly converted. I started out back in the mid seventies. Let's see,if I remember correctly - Phono, Linn. Ortophon Dynevector Audio Technica?  Reel to Reel, Cassette. Dolby filters. Ohm's F, Snell, JBL speakers. Just to name a few. But I am impressed with the performance vs. price ratio of some of the new gear I've heard. For which ever reason, technical, marketing, production. There are certainly I believe not only more products to choose from but the choices are more affordable as well.
128x128joes44

Joe, after a number of parties over the years, some of those albums were not in the best shape; I'm still replacing old albums with new ones, plus, older audiophiles are well aware of the fact that only a "hi-end" analog rig can beat their digital, and they also know how much that can cost.

We're not talking about new kids on the block.
It is an amazing time to be into audio.  I am not certain what makes an audiophile, but I bought my first system with separate amp, tuner, 3 way speakers, reel to reel about 50 years ago.

That was the move from the record player with cheap cheesy speakers to what I considered serious audio.

It has bee a long journey since, and about 15 years ago I had some success with my rare coin hobby and some real estate that turned out well and I got back into quality audio gear.

The choices available today are amazing.  While the highest end has gone crazy in terms of cost, serious stuff is out there that can make Eva Cassidy sound like she is standing in the room singing to you and it can be acquired over time.  Used equipment is a great value if you know what you are buying.   

And the great part is that you can upgrade one piece at a time as funds permit.  I ran thru a number of amps before getting my “keeper” pair of mono blocks.

My only regret is too many live concerts and the high end of my hearing is shot - hint, ear protection when it is LOUD.
To already be into audio reproduction of recordings is wonderful right now for certain! However to be interested and a newbie? not so great.
For the in the know person, the fact of sites like Audiogon, and others for gear, plus the internet in general allow a vast knowledge base to be accessed. Tons of gear one can find in a few minutes browsing!Reviews, old reviews too, at the click of a mouse. Amazing and wonderful.
On the other hand .. for a newbie. way to much information. just a torrent of competing claims. half truths,endless arguments with each side basically calling the other deluded.. Nearly every thread filled with bitter cat fights. Then the halo threads. where it seems the Holy Grail has been found if only you spend $599 on a piece of paper you lay on your devices.
Or being told (every time, I mean every time) spend another $xxxx to ’fix your problem'. It is so rare to read a fix that does not cost a pile more of money. A newbie asks what should I buy, and out of the blue a hundred different answers from a hundred posters, each claiming they found the magic one thing you MUST own to be happy.
This part of it SUCKS. Any new person reading all this stuff needs to be very careful. And I think it is a major turn off for folks who are not committed, but just looking around.
Otherwise, for the likes of me.. wonderful. Now IS the best time to be an audiophile, aside from most of us getting really way too old. LOL
It is a great time to be alive if you're a music lover. There is soooo much music out there available to us. New & used. 

I concur. Have been into music and equipment since the early/mid 70’s, (well, buying it for myself), and it seems the quality of equipment vs the relative cost can be much easier achieved today. 

I’m a big fan of buying used and do not need, or can financially justify, the latest and greatest to be satisfied. And if I am not satisfied, flipping or selling or purchasing used quality equipment is so much easier today. I recently bought a pair of Vandersteen 2CE Sigs for $575. A steal, and personally the type of sound I enjoy. I easily flipped my used Adcom 545 for a used $220 B&K ST120.2 amp to gain a bit more power for the 2CE’s vs my previously purchased used Vandersteen 1CE’s (which I still have and bought for $435). I really like the B&K a lot vs the Adcom; for a little over $200, a very good deal and a ‘sweet’ amp. Bought a used Yamaha 1040 blue ray/CD player for a very reasonable amount which basically acts as my transport, as I run my CD’s (and also files and Tidal) through an almost mint older used PS Audio DigiLink III DAC; a very good purchase, and do not mind its age vs the overall quality of the unit. Much better than the internal Yamaha DAC. Most of my interconnects are from Blue Jeans, and cannot complain as the quality to cost is very good as well. 

I’m sitting here listening to one of the 14 CD’s from The Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra Anthology #6 box set I bought ‘used’ for $60. It just came today, and turns out it is brand new and unopened. 14 brand new CD’s from one of the all time best orchestras for $60? Incredible deal. 

In total my main current set-up has cost me right around $2K, and am at times amazed by it’s overall sound quality vs my set-up in the 70/80’s. It wasn’t long ago I was looking to easily spend that much or more for new speakers alone, then came the opportunity for the 2CE’s and my search was over, for the time being. No, I haven’t hooked up my turntable in years, tempted, but haven’t. So I have boxes of vinyl which are still stored away. When you can pick-up used CD’s for a fraction of what they cost new in the 80/90’s, (let alone what good vinyl costs today), or the ability to check out a ton of undiscovered music via Tidal for $20 per month, along with the ability to get very good sound through the PS Audio DAC, I think I’m more than pleased overall with the music and the easily available and affordable quality equipment today than ever before.