Building the Audio Note Kit 1 SET amp...

Hi, Folks,
If anyone's interested, I've started a blog with lots of photos, documenting my ongoing build of the Audio Note Kit 1 300B SET amp. If you've ever thought of building any kit before and want to get a feel for what it's like, you're welcome to have a look!
rebbi
People often claim their particular amplifiers have near/same vitrues as a SET but with more power. If that's their experience I'll have to take their word for it. You can build a system around speakers or an amplifier. What's true is that either choice will require compromise and trade offs, no exception to this fact. I've heard no SS or large tube amp that sounds like a "well implemented" SET, obviously others have different opinions, that's life.

Lower power amps do require careful speaker selection. Well, lower efficiency speakers by the same token placed limitations on amplifier choices,yep, compromise. Rebbi you've heard what your 300b SET can do and prior amp couldn't. If you can find a non SET to give you what your current AN kit amp does, buy it! If Grannyring gets SET sound from his SS amps then congratulations. I've never heard this in my own experiences.

Certainly he may enjoy and prefer his present amps, I totally understand that with no problem. My point is Nothing will sound like a good SET other than a good SET. If that isn't what someone seeks, that's a different story.
Rebbi it's very possible you may love the AN el34 alternative(maybe even prefer it). My point,it won't mimic tour SET because it isn't a 300b SET which you have recently been introduce to. SET is not limited to any music genre "if" the proper speaker is matched with the amplifier. Yes the speaker is important, so is the amplifier to build a fine system.

Many good pathways available for good sound, we all decide which direction suits our goals the best.
Good Kuck,
Charles,
Grannyring,
I think you bring a really valuable perspective. Do you want the amp to sing or the speakers to sing? Or, ideally, both?
Brian Smith of Audio Note Kits says that their high-end EL34 is a fantastic piece of work that combines the delicacy and magic of SET with the guts and drive of push-pull. He's definitely encouraging me to try it.
Decisions, decisions!
The technology is just a means to the end which is to make good sounding music. What sounds good, or more so best, is always a matter of personal opinion. Different technologies provide a different set (no pun) of tools to achieve ones goals. Teh goals will determine the best way to get there.

I have only heard one SET (i think it was a set, very pricey audio notes as I recall) that sounded perfect to me on a larger scale. That was a six digit system at a show. The large custom horns involved alone were well over 6 digits.

It goes against my engineeering acumen to think that older technology can systematically beat newer technology. Maybe in some cases, but technology moves on beyond just refinements to old solution to radically different ones. Which is better? Who knows? I can only be certain that technology moves forward at light speed as evidenced all around. Is making good sound so much more of a challenge? I do not see it. Its an abstract argument I know but I think a valid one in general.
Rebbi,
With the De Capo the AN Kit el34 push pull is most likely a better match. You'd need to compare that to your amp with a suitable speaker and listen. IMO 300b offers superior sound quality vs an el 34 tube.
I wonder how OTL tube amps like Atmasphere for example would do with the Decapos.

One thing about tube amps for sure is that I do not think I have ever heard two that sounded exactly the same, even with the same architecture.