How many 'listen outside of the box' design?

Whether I owned electrostats or open baffle designs the majority of my audio life I've owned boxless speakers. My choices were made in part due to a logic of removing a 'box' from the equation of having to interact with a room. The more I thought about it it seemed a very logical choice. Why enter a speaker into a box and then have to deal with the resonation of the speaker interacting with the box and the room? I'm not saying successful box designs haven't been built, what I'm suggesting is box designs seem a more complicated way to achieve true room integration. I've discovered, dollar for dollar, I've exceeded most box designs. How many think as I do, or have experienced similar results based upon experimentation?
128x128coltrane1
All recorded music is recorded through a box speaker, so what you are listening to is "box speaker music" coming out of your non-box speakers. Get it? Even that live music concert that you so desperately want to reproduce at home is coming at you through box speakers (the PA system) when you're sitting in the audience. My speakers don't sound boxy at all (SP Tech Timepiece 3.0) They sound like real music and disappear in my room. It all comes down to what sounds best to you.
You still have frames stators and diaphragms that resonate no free lunch for any loudspeaker. Also panels can rock back and forth as diaphragm moves. I do not feel these designs are as free from colorations as one thinks. Still estats planars ribbons can be wonderful sounding loudspeakers. Like all not perfect but for some maybe the best match for there room system or listening tastes. I spent many years with estats.
I have nothing against boxes or enclosures if done well, though I have always tended to lean away from them.

The OHM Walsh's in my setup are somewhat unique in how the downward firing driver is mounted in relation to the box, which comes into play mainly for the low end, which is where enclosures generally add value, so I like that particular approach to leveraging an enclosure. mbl and German Physiks use different drivers but a similar configuration regarding the enclosure.
I used to be a planar guy (owned Maggies and Apogees in the past), but box designs have come a long way. I'm now into box designs because I can get the bass dynamics and loudness levels I missed with the planar speakers, while still retaining the benefits of planars.
As the owner of both OB's and Planar's I thought it might be interesting to hear what other non box listener's have experienced. I imagine many of you, like myself, ventured away from box designs for a reason...namely the more lifelike presentation provided by a stat. I've tried box designs, Focal JM Lab, Dynaudio to name a few, and I still own a pair of Focal floorstanders that I use as rear channels in a HT setup, but aside from the OB's nothing I've heard comes remotely close to the midrange and upper frequency presentation of my stats. If I want to bass out for a bit I'll listen to my OB's, which even as natural sounding as they are don't approach the midrange delivery of my 'stats. It's true for some of us, once stat never back. The majority of criticism I've heard against them surrounds LF delivery, or a lack of integration between a panel and a sub. I've experienced successful results with well over a dozen pairs and models of stats.

To the poster who questioned ones ability to keeping open designs clean...I don't know anyone who listens 24-7. When not in use I simply treat my planars and OB's like I would a grand piano by keeping them covered, otherwise dust and airborne particles will only create work for you. All stats need to be regularly vacuumed, so this is a non issue.

I've not owned OB's but for a short time, thus I've no idea what long term exposure to the elements will be like, but I'd imagine corrosion concerns really are a non issue, but even so these Hawthorne Audio drivers are fairly inexpensive to replace...which brings to mind another major benefit of a non box or OB design...one can easily upgrade their drivers, crossovers and other components easily or make continual upgrades, tweaks, and changes to their speakers anytime they choose. No box design allows for that type of convenience or ease of use.

A tip to keeping them covered when not in use - Old sheets work in a pinch. I recycle king sized sheets just for that purpose. In the past I've made actual form fitting covers for a few former pairs of ML's. My current Vista's came with two different sets of factory fitted covers, which I found very interesting considering ML didn't provide covers for any of their former speakers so it's nice to see they finally stepped up to the plate and provided covers. And yes, there's no power to them as long as their not receiving a signal so keeping this stat design clean and dust free really is a non issue.

I'll end by saying I've heard some pretty high end box designs but I've yet to own anything in a box design where I didn't hear the box, if you know what I mean. But hey, I believe in live and let live, so to each their own. Thanks for everyones input.

Enjoy!