Speaker footers – Ugh

I’m exhausted in my search for the truth. I have a pair of Rega’s R7 floor standing speakers (about 40” tall) and feel that I can improve their sound by changing out the 4 stock spikes each speaker came with.

I’ve read where spikes can be a “bad thing” by exacerbating vibration within the speaker. Mapleshade has a philosophy that vibration needs to be drained from speakers. They sell heavy brass footers (3” tall, 3” diameter) that are supposed to accomplish that. However, they cost a few bucks and cosmetically are not exactly what I’m looking for.

I’ve spent hours trying to identify footers that will make a difference and am at the point of exhaustion. I could research more, but feel I’ll get no closer to the truth of what would be a good solution. I encourage anyone who has had a good experience with replacement footers for a floor stander (like the R7’s) to share.

Thank you.
rbschauman
I have used a variety of footers under speakers. The ones I got the best results from were Outriggers and the various Black Diamond Racing cones/pits.

Unfortunately, there is only so much that can be learned from reading about these kinds of products, since their effects on the sound are very system/room dependent. So, experimentation is the only real way to know. Good luck.
I had cut 1" granite slabs for my floor standers over a hardwood floor..much better results than the mapleshade platforms which I then sold,much cheaper as well.
Missioncoonery - Interesting...what did you have between the granite and speakers? Granite and floor?

Thanks,
Randy
used Soler Points from member esoler on many speakers and speaker stands with terrific results. They "drain" energy very effectively. Expect to feel like the bass goes missing at first only to realize later that only "bloat" is missing while bass is now more tuneful. This helps the rest of the frequencies as well such as making the mid's more "there"...

Very affordable, excellent quality...

Cheers
definitely very interesting Missioncoonery...anything other than what Mapleshade recommends is blashemy! And what if their name wasn't Mapleshade? Would they then be touting some other wood besides maple as the superior choice for racks, stands, etc?

I used to own some Mod Squad Tip Toes back in the day, pretty much the original pyramidal shaped spikes under speakers and gear...they were awesome. Then people said brass was the answer...now its other things...

I think the bottom line is not to get too crazy with this stuff, just enjoy the music. That's all that counts :)