magnepan experimenting

i have my modified mmgs performing pretty well. so tonite i turned them around to face wall with the metal perofrated side facing the room. this moved the tweeters to the inside configuration. they are on elevated stands and are braced also they sound very good but slightly more defined. can someone please explain what might be going on here? thanks
hotmailjbc
Wouldn't the rear wave be the same as the front just the opposite phase? If that is correct you can essentially accomplish the same thing buy using the panels front facing with tweeters on the inside and wire them out of phase, positive speaker wire in negative terminal, etc. I have played with this in my set up and I did like the way it sounded, ultimately I left the tweeters on the inside but hooked the speaker wire up the correct way.
room is 12 x 18 and spks are 3 ft from rear wall and 4 ft from side walls.. no toe in at this time.
JBen on the Planar Asylum has measured the MMG's both ways and from the back the frequency response is tipped up between 10 and 15 kHz:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=mug&n=144728&highlight=MylarFront&r=

I'm guessing that's what you're hearing.
I rotated my 1.6s a few months ago when I realized that Magnepan had flipped 'em around in the mid-90s. My original MG-1s were mylar back and I liked 'em lots....even though they were something like.....50hz to 18khz. no better.

When I did the rotate, I noted MUCH better imaging and ended up with the toe adjusted to cross well behind me. The sweet spot opened up and now every seat on the sofa sounds fine. I had to flip the phase switch on the Sub, too, which confirms my new placement.

Tipped up response or not, the brightness I noted when the mylar was to the listener and the toe was set for a proper image is GONE. They were more beamy and with a smaller sweet spot. Toe adjusted out would help, but eventually produce a 'hole in the center' effect. Toe adjusted too far 'in' would make an image about 5' wide with ZERO extension past the speakers.

Hotmailjbc.....did you EVER try toe adjusts? or Flipping 'em front/back? I think toe is ESSENTIAL to help disperse the strong backwave.....from the nearest reflecting surface.

I'm leaving them pole piece to the listener, but may do a L/R swap and again try the tweeter 'out', but this time listening to the 'wrong' side.

Try it, You'll like it.