Alon/Nola sound

in general, associated amps notwithstanding, how would you characterize the Alon/Nola sound? Bright, warm, open, laid back, etc?

I was in an audio store the other day and in discussing my setup, the salesman felt that the Nola Viper iias were bright, which stunned me. I'v never thought they were bright, but definitely detailed and open. Do we all here that differently? Just curious.
hawk28
Hello ,

I had the opportunity to here the Nola grand last night and did not find the top end bright at all played thru McIntosh/ AR tube gear. The room was well treated with traps et al and source was 24/192 via PS audio CD transport.

Positives:

The sound was open and powerful with a smooth delivery and with good presence. Very good dynamics with good recovery with a solid feel. I did like the remote x-over setup and the cabinet finish was first rate.

Negatives:

The bass was not extended and there was some mid/upper midrange smearing causing a softening of air around instruments and voices . Imaging was good , not great and not as good as one would expect from speakers in the lofty 50K+ price range.... IMO

Overall a pleasant sounding setup , nothing offensive regardless of the recording and with the big macs the power was immense, of course the usual configuration/room caveats apply, worth a listen for sure if you are shopping in that price range.

My 2 cents ....

Regards,
$50,000 speakers have to sound pretty extraordinary. Unfortunately, I don't believe I will be in the market for such a speaker unless I hit the lottery!
Now that my room is done, and the system is almost completely set up,I need to check one of my midrange drivers. Thanks to Nmusician, I will obtain a voltmeter to test if the midrange driver is working.

If the driver is not working, off to Miller Sound it goes. If it does work, then I will have to get inside the cabinet to reconnect whichever wire that got jarred loose during shipment.

Cany anyone provide me with details for the best way to get inside this cabinet?

Thanks
A friend owns the Viper Reference three's , I no I'll take some flack for saying so , but I was not impressed , at least not for the price . They did have the feeling of freedom , but the overall coherence and balance was not what I expected for $15,000.