The best CD Player for the money

I AM IN THE PROCESS OF BUYING A CD PLAYER AND I DONT KNOW WHICH WAY TO GO.WITH SO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM I WANT TO PURCHASE SOMETHING GOOD BUT I DONT WANT TO SPEND 10,000 EITHER.
jazze22
Richardzerambo - I picked up a very lightly used Shanling S100 MkII and like it alot. It is an improvement over the earlier Shanling S100 and Music Hall (which Shanling makes).
Now this thread is going on 6 yrs old! I was out of audio for a while and now I can't afford hi-end stuff, but my sense is that CD players never really got good, I mean it's strange that you can't just buy any cheapo CD player from one of the big companies and have it sound OK as you could with a tape player, for example. I guess digital sound is just too difficult for the mass market; no one has found the magic bullet to make it sound great for pennies, although not to say that someone won't some day crack it. Also I never understand why music at, say, Borders book store always sounds quite good and they say they use just 'mass market' CD players. I don't believe that.
I recommend Consonance CD-120 Linear .
I've compared to : Rotel RCD-1070 , Cambridge , NAD , CAL Tempest , Rega Planet 2000 , Shanling , Cayin and so many other cd players with cost more.