Top 10 Alt-country bands

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/2013/04/alt_country_best_bands.php

Attached is an URL for an interesting article in the Dallas paper about the Alt-country sub-genre. I really like most of these bands. If you don't dance to the Gourds, you don't have a spine. I would add Alejandro Escovedo and Steve Earle to this group. Any other alt-country artists of note?
maxnewid
Also, if you like the Wood Bros., check out the band King Johnson, "Fresh Fish Laudrymat". KJ was Oliver Woods band, before the WB. Can be found on ebay from time to time. Great stuff. Now, back to alt country....
jond, i did check out this roddy wallston on mog and he's damn good--more hard rockabilly than altcount, but who needs labels, right? probably killer live. thanks for the tip.
Loomisjohnson my pleasure and glad you liked him! I would agree he is not quite alt-country but also not quite rockabilly that was what really pulled me in the freshness of his sound. A bit of Queen and Leon Russell in there as well.
Another guy around the edges of the alt-country silo that deserves mention here is the late Jay Bennett. His solo stuff, his work with Edward (Edwin?) Burch, and his contribution to Wilco form a pretty impressive body of work IMHO.

Marty