Adding Sub to current system

I currently have a pair of Sonus Faber Electa speakers. These speakers have 6" and 1" drivers respectively and have a 1st order crossover. The popular magazine test disk demonstrate the speakers go down to about 40HZ. I'm interested in what I'm missing below 40HZ besides just a non-musical "BOOM". I know for a price musical Sub's are available, but would it be an exercise in futility trying to integrate a Sub into my system? The spot I would choose for it would be to the left of my speakers in a corner - your thoughts please!
Rpg
rpg
Hi Rpg,
My current speakers are flat to 40, I came across one of the decent velodynes used and picked it up. It is rated down to the low 20's. I put it right next to my system with a 15' cable. It was peeky, I slowly moved the crossover point downward starting @ 60. I ended up just below 40. I then moved the sub about a foot at a time toward the corner. I pointed it in, I pointed it out, I pointed in down one wall, then the other, I increase output, I have a phase dial and used it ever so slightly. I ended up with a very nice result. I've had a few audiophile over, none even knew that it is there.... until I turn it off... I can say without hesitation the differences are indeed minor, but clearly add to the enjoyment of the music. Good luck, Tim
No problem integrating one of the upper end REL subwoofers into your system. Once you do you will realize you are missing a lot.
One last point, my $ for a sub is limited to around $750, hoping to find something on Audiogon, am I wasting my time?
Rpg - If you go with Rel, depending upon which model you prefer, you might have to stretch your budget a bit. I can tell you that my Rel R-305 is a fantastic match for my Sonus Faber Guarneri Mementos. Someone has an R-305 for sale right now on the 'Gon and the asking price is ~ $150 above your approximate budget limit. I do not know the seller nor do I have any connection to the item for sale.
I have recently experimented with bringing my sub from a dedicated home threater into my two channel system (consisting of paradigm signature 2's). I immediately loved the additional bottom end as the sub really filled out the presentation and created a much more enveloping sound. However, I still don't feel that I've got the placement, crossover, and phase perfect. Honestly i don't know if I ever will. Rather that spending the bucks on a sub more suited to music and my monitors(was thinking about the paradigm sub 1 but that a big chunk of change) and trying to get it perfectly integrated, I'm now just going to upgrade to a floorstanding speaker that can play close to full range.
SB