Electrocompaniet EMC-1 24/192...Where to from here

I am looking to hear from previous owners/users of this CDP only.

I currently have this CDP and am still very happy with it. I was actually considering upgrading/modding it, until Electro recently closed the doors. Though it is a great player, I can't see putting money into a machine that cannot be backed 100% with support & parts, by the original manufacturer.

Looking to keep a one box CDP, what have you previous owners of the EMC-1 moved on to?

Please tell me what you switched to, why you switched and changes/improvements that you noticed in comparrison to the Electro CDP.

Thanks!
barrelchief
I had a EMC 1up-se for a short while and did like it.
I thought about doing some modding but decided even though someone else picked up the company its not the same and didn't want to take the chance.
I decided to go with the Naim CDX2 which doesn't need modding to sound better.I'm happy.
Nearly 2 years have passed and I'm getting ready to bite the bullet on a cdp upgrade.

One feature that has entered the equation since my original posting of this thread is having a cdp that has digital inputs.

This brings me to the Cary 306 SACD.

Has anyone heard both the EMC-1 and the 306 SACD? If so, how do they stack up against each other for redbook cd's?...how are they similar & how do they differ?

Thanks
Barrelchief,

What exactly has you looking to move away from the EMC? I've had the same player for about three years now and have been toying with mods or a new player although I am generally very happy with the sound.

And the Cary 306 is one of the units I would consider because it has the digital inputs.
John:

As you can see by how quickly I replaced the EMC-1, I too really enjoy it.

Because of system changes, if I am going to make a change, the digital input is a must for me.

Other than that (and not that the Electro is a slouch by any strech of the imagination) improvments w/PRAT, timbre, etc are always welcome.

I am looking to keep that rich musical sound that I have grown accustommed to. Hyper-detailed analaytical sound is not my thing.

For me, it seems to be coming down to the Cary 306 and the Audio Aero Capitole.

I was hoping to hear from anyone who has experience with the Electro and the Cary (or the Capitole.)