TRL Marantz Sa-14

After speaking to Paul at TRL I am very curious to hear from those who own this unit what improvements do you hear with the player before and after the mod.

The SA-14 sounds weak in the bass and has no dynamics in comparison to some players like the Sony Scd-1 in stock form. Has anyone compared the TRL Sa-14 to the Sony Scd-1?
la45
It is not my intention to change the subject of the TRL Marantz but, I am contemplating sending a Cary 303/100 cdp to Paul at TRL to be modded. Would the already good Cary benefit from a TRL mod or would a better choice be a dac? Has anyone sent a high end cdp such as a Cary to TRL to be modded and with what results? TIA.
Bradz

The best person to ask would be Paul Weitzel of TRL. He will surely get back to you, and give you an honest answer. He will NOT try to hard sell you anything.

good luck

paul
Thanks Oldpet. Actually, I talked to Paul yesterday about a TRL mod for the Cary. He said he could remove un-necessary circuits in the path and clean up some of the digit-itis. I've considered adding a external dac at the same time though, such as a Scott Nixon, Audio Mirror, or an Audio Sector dac before sending the Cary in for a mod. Not sure what to do! Never have heard a TRL mod cdp and am not familiar with their house sound.
Has anyone sent a high end cdp such as a Cary to TRL to be modded and with what results?

They have done over 600 units in the past year.
Many very high end units to my knowledge of all makes and models. They have also worked on many very expensive modded units from other modders.

I would contact Paul. Remember-they make a $30,000 digital unit themselves.
You will be surprised as to what they have found is best to mod in their opinion. It does not always equate with stock unit price.

The SA14 in this thread was a $3000 stock unit like your Cary.
FWIW, I had a Cary 308 which I liked very much, but even the entry level modded TRL/Sony 595 was signiicantly better IMHO and that was a $150 stock unit.

Another opinion to get might be from Empirical Audio as Steve Nugent also has a wide range of experience and a solid rep.
Good luck.
Hi Bradz

I don't like to tell people which way they should go, so I'm not going to start now. :-)
But - I'm not sure of the costs of the DACs you are considering. The TRL mod costs about $550. Do the DACS compare with the price of the TRL mod? I believe, unless TRL has changed policy, Paul will give your money back if you are not happy with the mod.

If you ask Paul for comparisons I'm sure he'll be accurate in doing so.

Lkdog has comparitive info on the TRL mods. (Cary 308 vs TRL Sony) I can say, that the Player is detailed/extended in its frequency presentation/dynamic, yet smooth. I really enjoy my CDP. As I've said to others It would take alot to convince me to part with my TRL SA-14.

Bottom line= Ask Paul how he thinks the Cary will stack up. I'd trust his judgement. But that's just me :-)

I really hope you can work through you decision making.

best
paul