TRL Marantz Sa-14

After speaking to Paul at TRL I am very curious to hear from those who own this unit what improvements do you hear with the player before and after the mod.

The SA-14 sounds weak in the bass and has no dynamics in comparison to some players like the Sony Scd-1 in stock form. Has anyone compared the TRL Sa-14 to the Sony Scd-1?
la45
Lawyerman,
Would you mind elaborating on the differences? I am very interested. Do you think a SA-1 can improve more if it also undergoes TRL mod? Also would you mind sharing the associating rigs and your experience with various PCs, ICs, and tweaks on your Marantz players?

Thanks.
They sent me a test disk with three other disks when they sent the Marantz back to me. It starts with two songs in French. It is the second song that I was referring to. There is also some jazz and blues on it. Bob
Hchi. I left my Marantz SA-1 in stock but there are mods that can be done with it. Have not heard the mods with the SA-1. But I can tell you the truth that a stock Marantz SA-1 destroys a TRL Marantz SA-14. It's unfair because the Marantz SA-1 was a $7500 rarely discounted unit verse the $3000 highly discounted SA-14. Talk to Marantz America and they'll tell you that from a design and sound perspective it does not get any better than a stock Marantz SA-1.

I have a MAC402 amp, Audio Research Reference II preamp,Marantz SA-1 (still have the SA-14 TRL but used in another system, and Wilson 7 speakers, AQ Kiliminjaro spkr cables, Kimber Select interconnects,a and BMI Cables Hammerhead Gold/ag silver power cables. Very, very satisfying two channel system.

*Here is a little tid bit on Marantz SA-1 mod if you want to go that road. I personally say leave this classic SA-1 stock. And Marantz America agrees with me.

The Marantz SA-1 is a World Class -No Holds Barr Design SACD/CD player intended to be the Flagship of the line. It has been around for nearly 5 years and has already been the target of modifications. Audiocom in the UK was probably the first to really hotrod this player by executing improvements to jitter performance and power supply resulting in a much improved performance. Retailing for over $7500 USD great sound is expected but the intriguing question was always, how much further could after market modifications take it?

Fortunately, a curious gentleman was interested in taking the SA-1 to new limits and was willing to guinea pig his player for our R&D. By the way, we appreciate his patience throughout the process…Thanks. Searching for increased performance is the area of our business I enjoy the most! "Tweaking" we call it, and I love it! Nothing like popping the hood of an already high end player looking to turn it into something truly spectacular.

What can one expect form a stock SA-1? "Musical" comes to mind. The stock sound is pleasantly smooth. Music was round as if we added a very euphonic SET amplifier to our system. Some may approve whole heartily but we were simply disappointed. I believe that resolution is the key to musical involvement and euphonism is just a distorted coloration there to mask the sound of possibly associated inferior products to make things nice and listenable. If I were to rate the player in terms of overall performance with 100 being the best we have had in our system I would give it a 65. Sorry…but this player was to my ears a wet rag lacking in any resolution and dynamics while the pace and timing were not exemplary.

So what to do? I have learned and experienced for quite some time now that the output stage is generally responsible for killing resolution and squashing dynamics. I must give credit to my friend Ric Schultz of Electronic Visionary System who has always preached this to me and which I now always focus on because he is absolutely correct here. Removing as much of the filtering and gain stage as possible really allows the music to flow through and what you hear is greatly improved detail, extension, slam, and micro dynamics. Music becomes incredibly palpable and present. The SA-1 has so much output stage or what they call the HDAM's that it is no wonder that it lacks any sort of resolution. After a bit of R&D we decided to remove the entire top PCB containing the HDAM's and the 4 TDA1547's. We actually kept just 2 dac chips and literally cut the PCB to ~ 3" X 3". The 2 TDA1547's are now buffered and sent directly to 2 Audio Consulting silver coupling transformers. The digital interface was re-routed to use only one dac chip per channel rather then 4 thus creating a much purer and direct signal path.
The results were incredible!! Resolution, resolution, and more resolution!! This was a phenomenal step of the mod because now we could here the potential of this beast. Let's move to the next stage.

The clock circuit was the next area of improvement and it goes without saying we replaced the stock part with the superb Superclock 2(33.38688 MHz). Lowering the jitter has such a profound effect on sound because the hard edged fundamentals now take on a clear and distinct characteristic. Music locks into focus and spatial cues are more prominent and easier to hear. Also, sound takes another step forward in dynamics bringing more energy to the room like live music. No need for more praise as we feel the Superclock 2 is quite proven with any player at any price.

It is now routine to improve power supply capacitors, internal wiring, and adding Bybee filters. All of these stages of modifications simply deliver much more lifelike qualities. Uniquely, we only use the Bybee filters in the signal path where we hear much greater inner resolution and clarity with no drawbacks in dynamics or pace. A rare case of more is actually better!! The Bybees are superb! Something new for the Marantz was a full C37 lacquer treatment to all the IC's. This produces a stunning improvement! It seems to add a natural more vivid presentation with improvements to resolution too. Why? I really do not know entirely but Mr. Dieter Ennemoser in a way claims it has certain properties our ears and brains relate to thus we hear better sound. Whatever it is I am a believer… Hearing really is believing.

So, that's essentially the modification and from the picture below you can see it is a completely different player now. Completely different looking and absolutely better sounding. I would confidently rate the modded Marantz at a stunning 105 because it is the finest sounding mod we have accomplished to date. Take your Marantz and mod it…you will be shocked at the improvement!!!

Installation
Please contact Reference Audio Mods by e-mail at sales@referenceaudiomods.com or by phone at (909)353-8948 for installation.
But I can tell you the truth that a stock Marantz SA-1 destroys a TRL Marantz SA-14.

Lawyerman- I am a little confused. You state the above, then you provide a lengthy quote from RAM it appears that states how lousy the SA 1 is.

I guess Kyle and Doug at RAM don't agree with your asessment of the SA-1, but they are modders and that would not be good for business to like a stock unit I guess :>

Like I said, different opinions make this hobby interesting. At least your posts have certainly helped this "boring and repetitious" thread.