TRL Marantz Sa-14

After speaking to Paul at TRL I am very curious to hear from those who own this unit what improvements do you hear with the player before and after the mod.

The SA-14 sounds weak in the bass and has no dynamics in comparison to some players like the Sony Scd-1 in stock form. Has anyone compared the TRL Sa-14 to the Sony Scd-1?
la45
I think that it is. I just wanted to know if anyone actually heard one, besides the guy that made mention of it (and a comparison to the TRL 595) over in the Vinyl Asylum.

Best,

Jack
I picked up a used Black Marantz SA-14 v1 last week. I sent it off to Paul @ TRL yesterday.

I currently own a TRL Sony 2000ES, which I have been quite happy with, but have been watching this discussion thread for the last 8 months enviously. In a recent burst of upgrade-itis, I also picked up a used Conrad-Johnson 17LS preamplifier as well.

Paul said that the Marantz SA-14 should be quite a step up from the Sony. Looking forward the improvement in my system.

I did a brief comparison of the SA-14 in its stock form versus the TRL Sony 2000ES, before I sent it out. No more than one hour switching between the two units.

The SACD performance of the SA-14 was OK, good detail but a different sound than the 2000ES. Didn't form a conclusive opinion but probably gave the nod to the 2000ES.

The Redbook performance of the SA-14 was another matter. I found it to be thin and definitely less musical than the 2000ES. Not that I expected the SA-14 Redbook performance (in stock form) to be anything to write home about.

So now the wait, shipping from Canada to US, modification, shipping back to Canada, 500 hour burn in. If all goes well, I should be able to celebrate the New Year in style!

Will provide an update once I get the Marantz unit back from TRL.
Latest News-

Just received my TRL Marantz SA-14v.2 and I am happy to say its a pleasant surprise. Its performance is far better than the TRL 2000es in some respects and with time I am sure other areas will fall into place once its broken in (200 hours).

What a sound! Are most of you running the player thru the balance outputs?