Behringer DEQ2496 HELP

After reading the raves about this product, I finally bought one along with the matching microphone tonite. Put in my system, eager to try room correction. The first 2 attmepts produced some curves that I wasn't crazy about, but seemed plausioble. Now, all it does is push all the bands above 125 all the way to maximum boost, and all the bands below 125 to maximum cut. When displaying the RTA of the pink noise, there is nop more htan a 15 dB range between the highest and lowest levels on the curve (as if that were small!)Also, one of the primary reasons I bought it was for equalizing low frequency room problems, yet it suggests htat anyuthing below 100Hz not be included in the auto EQ.
Does anyone know why it is coming up with such odd equalization curves, even though it is reading the data, which doesn't look so bad? Also, how bad is the product at low frequencies?
honest1
06-22-06: Eldartford
Drubin...I agree. I think that the problem is partly due to the manual being a translation from German, but mostly because it is written for pro sound people who are pretty savy, and explanations which would be helpful for the average audiophile are omitted.
Precisely. Behringer appears to assume the majority of users are already proficient with how to shape sound, and users know how the adjustment parameters function. The manual basically explains which modules/button operate the various parameters.

Now I fully understand Drubin's desire for "DEQ2496 for Dummies".

To fully understand the capabilities of this unit, I believe one needs a course in professional sound production.

BTW, it seems to me the DYN module might provide the ideal EQ scenario for "recognizing" and attenuating typically offensive frequencies in a fluid manner...i.e. those frequencies responsible for "hard" sounding piano, or "honky" saxophone or "brassy" trumpet. Just a hunch.
I don't know the DEQ2496 but the Feedback Destroyer Pro took me a while to figure out. The PEQ gain and frequncy settings were obvious but the Q filter widths....well I had to use a calculator to work out what it all meant in terms of Hz so that I could plot out my corrections on a log DB vs linear frequency plot...

Pilot error may be linked to the fact that it does not indicate what settings have been programmed in ....you have to run through each filter to see what has been set.

but for the price....I'm not complaining! This machine is great!
Shadorne...I have noted that while it may take a lot of effort to get it figured out, once you do that it is easy to use.
Gentlemen, I have run the Auto EQ in the RTA module, and I can clearly hear the benefits of the DEQ2496. Today, I connected my Sony CD changer to the DEQ2496 via the optical digital in and I selected the Optical In as the input on the I/O selector. The levels are running into clipping. I haven't found an overall gain adjustment. What's the solution?
You can reduce the gain in the Utility Menu using the Gain Offset parameter. I have mine set to -2db. When I spoke to the Beheringer folks about the high input levels, they mentioned that it's Ok if the level goes slightly into the red zone as long as it's very brief. I would agree with that in terms of my listening experience, as I don't hear clipping artifacts unless the levels are significantly into the red.