Behringer DEQ2496 HELP

After reading the raves about this product, I finally bought one along with the matching microphone tonite. Put in my system, eager to try room correction. The first 2 attmepts produced some curves that I wasn't crazy about, but seemed plausioble. Now, all it does is push all the bands above 125 all the way to maximum boost, and all the bands below 125 to maximum cut. When displaying the RTA of the pink noise, there is nop more htan a 15 dB range between the highest and lowest levels on the curve (as if that were small!)Also, one of the primary reasons I bought it was for equalizing low frequency room problems, yet it suggests htat anyuthing below 100Hz not be included in the auto EQ.
Does anyone know why it is coming up with such odd equalization curves, even though it is reading the data, which doesn't look so bad? Also, how bad is the product at low frequencies?
honest1
Zapper, turn up the mic sensitivity in the utilities menu. Tvad is right, you don't need a blasting signal, but if your mic is set too low, it won't "hear" the pink noise.
I am having the problem of the input being to high as well. It is optical out of a Philips DVD player. I had to turn the Gain Offset in the Utility page down to -10 before the clip was not going off all the time. Is there a way to adjust the input, or is this what you need to do?

07-06-06: Zapper
I am having the problem of the input being to high as well. It is optical out of a Philips DVD player.
Yup. Me too.

The issue here is that the DEQ2496 is a pro audio tool, and pro source equipment has adjustable output gain whereas consumer units do not. In a pro audio setting, it would be easy to adjust the source output so the DEQ2496 input level was not clipping.
Tvad...I still suspect that your clipping is internal to the DEQ2496 (clip limiter) as a result of equalization. A 16 bit digital word input really can't saturate a 24 bit D/A unless your processing has led to an output of more than 16 bits.
If this is the case output attenuation should resolve the problem.

I have not used the digital input because my multichannel discs don't provide anything but analog.

07-06-06: Eldartford
Tvad...I still suspect that your clipping is internal to the DEQ2496 (clip limiter) as a result of equalization. A 16 bit digital word input really can't saturate a 24 bit D/A unless your processing has led to an output of more than 16 bits.
If this is the case output attenuation should resolve the problem.

I have not used the digital input because my multichannel discs don't provide anything but analog.
Eldartford (Reviews | Threads | Answers)
The output is not clipping, as would be the case if the DEQ2496 clip limiter was activated by over-boosting frequencies in the GEQ. I don't have any frequencies boosted very high, but perhaps later tonight I'll really jack up the 20hz band to see if the clipping is affected. In any case, if boosting frequencies causes clipping when using the optical input, this mitigates the usefulness of the DEQ2496, since boosting is required in addition to attenuation.

I have attenuated the output, and thus far this does nothing to change the clipping when the optical digital input is selected.

Nevertheless, this unit is fairly sophisticated to use, and I don't claim to know 15% of it's functions. One has to have a background in sound processing, or have a good tutorial to properly take advantage of the Behringer, IMO.