Vandersteen 5Aa Carbon--any 5a owner's opinions?

I'm new to 5as, having my pair since only 23 April. They're absolutely the best-sounding speakers I've ever heard, and I'm thrilled to have them.

But I understand that some of us V'steenists have raved about the 7's superior transparency, etc. The 5a Carbons use the 7's MR driver and (I think) a better tweeter than the 5a. Has anyone heard them?
128x128jeffreybehr
((How difficult is it to set up Vandersteen 5As yourself with the equalizer & all that?))

If you are a pre owned buyer you will want to read the
well written manual with set up points.
1 A volt meter to find out the proper dip switch setting
for your amps real input Imp.
2 Stereophile test CD with 1000 hz 100 hz test tone to
confirm dip switch are set correctly
3 A bubble level and laser for proper side to side and
tilt-back.
4 A stereophile test CD with the Warble tones to adjust
the in room EQ.
5 Rad shack analog SPL meter works fine.

6 Measuring tape best listening distance

Even if you just leave the all factory
strait up and down but nail the correct input Imp
you will be in for a real treat.
When set up though with decent gear and
Big gun cables they are lighting in a bottle fun.
Cheers Johnnyr
Yeah, the 5s and 5As were always best-of-show for me at the NY Stereophile shows year after year. One of the few I thought I could really live with long term & never feel the need to upgrade.
When buying the Vandersteen speakers new, the dealer always sets it up for you...one reason to buy it new. John Rutan of Audio Connection set mine up and did an excellent job...the reason to buy it from him.
I had 5a after hearing the sevens at Audio Connection I was sold. I bought them 3 months ago, still waiting for them to arrive. I have not listned to the 5A carbon but I know Vandersteen doesn't take upgrades lightly when there is one it is usally wort it. I supect the drivers are a major improvement. Sorry I can't be to helpful there are just not that many 5a carbons out htere yet to listen to.
I heard the 5A Carbon this weekend at THE SHOW NEWPORT. Driven by Audio Research with a the new Basis TT and arm the sound was very transparent and natural as one would expect from Vandersteen. I would say that the sound lands about halfway between the 5A and the Model 7. The midrange was stunning and the bass was very tight and deep in sharp contrast to most of what I heard at the show. The 5A Carbon also has a new midrange driver. Show conditions are difficult, but the 5A Carbon managed to overcome the limitations of the room.The Music Matters records played sounded fantastic.
The 5A sells for about 24K. These are the next best thing to the Model 7 which I have. It was interesting to talk to people in the business who have ordered the Model 7.