Jazz Recommendations

I am just starting to get into Jazz. I recently bought Thelonious Monk Quartet "Live at Monterey" and was blown away. Could you recommend other mainstream Jazz recordings that I should have in a basic collection to help me get started.
kadlec
This is good stuff! Sdcampbell is on point with his list. There is nothing more to add. However, I would recommend that you get the latest edition of "The Penguin Guide To Jazz On CD, LP, & Cassette". You must have this book handy.
Hi, Trelja: We usually have similar reactions to each other's posts - you always have good info, and I learn from your comments. We ought to swap a personal E-mail someday and talk about our hobby. In response to your question, I did not deliberately leave out Rollins, Mingus, or Coleman. I have a significant number of recordings by these three, and consider them among the "jazz giants". However, they are not necessarily where I suggest a new listener start. Sonny Rollins has a few great recordings, a larger number of good ones, and too many "so-so" ones for a man with his talent. Among his best are "Saxophone Colossus" and "Way Out West" (recently re-released on JVC XRCD). As for Mingus, one of the first virtuoso bassists, his album titled "Ah Um" is a great starting point. Some of the compositions he wrote that I really enjoy include "Pithecanthropus Erectus" and "Better Get It In Your Soul". Another great album which features Mingus is the live concert at Massey Hall (1953 or 1954) with Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, and Max Roach. Last, Ornette Coleman, one of the key contributors to the "free" form of jazz. New listeners to jazz, unless they have pretty eclectic tastes, may find some of Coleman's work hard to follow. Coleman is one of the freshest, most innovative composers, who wrote almost every piece on his recorded albums. For those interested in hearing some of Coleman's range of flavors, try these albums: "Free Jazz" (not his best album, but it parallels Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" in its historical impact), "The Music of Ornette Coleman", "Skies of America" (done with a symphony orchestra), "At the Golden Circle", and two of his more recent works that are among my personal favorites, "Virgin Beauty", and "In All Languages" (which features both his original quartet and Prime Time). In closing this section on Coleman, let me add that I did not discuss the group of musicians grouped under the "2nd Chicago School", which includes groups such as the Art Ensemble of Chicago (one of my favorites), Sun Ra, AACM, and the World Saxophone Quartet. Let me close the loop back to where I started: suggestions for new listeners to jazz. There is an excellent collection which covers most of the important people and styles of jazz, and is affordable -- The Smithsonian Collection of Classic Jazz (SCCJ). The SCCJ can be purchased directly from the Smithsonian Institute, and is also available through large stores such as Tower (and maybe Amazon.com). So, Kadlec, if I haven't lost you yet, get the book (Jazz Styles), buy the SCCJ, and go from there.
Almost any album reorded by Blue Note through the mid 60s is GREAT. Art Blakey, Jackie McLean, Lee Morgan, Hank Mobley, Dexter Gordon, Freddie Hubbard etc. For the West Coast sound Contemporary recordings oh Shelly Manne, Hampton Hawes, Art Pepper etc. Most recordings on Prestige or Riverside are also great. Earlier recordings by Charlie Parker, Clifford Brown, Fats Navarro, Wardell Grey, Bud Powell are also excellent. From the 70s and 80s recordings on Muse, InnerCity and Steeple Chase are also excellent. Try samplers from OJC(Fantasy) and Blue Note etc to get an idea of what styles suit you best. Most jazz fans are into the Hard Bop sound, defined by the Blue Note recordxings of the 50s throgh the mid 60s.
Sdcampbell, thanks for your information! I almost feel like I am in your class already. Would have been one of my favorites. It is a credit to the school you teach to have a person such as you. One who is not only incredibly adroit at speaking on the topic, but also loves the subject. I agree with all that you have said. I constantly listen to three Sonny Rollins works(and there are many I have come across that have left me unimpressed). Theme from the movie, Alfie(where Michael Caine got his big break) is one of my favorite albums of my collection. Charles Mingus does not play the type of jazz that really sucks me in, but I cannot argue with success. Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz IS hard to follow. And, as you opined, would definitely be a handful for a neophyte. I would welcome an e-mail from you any time you feel like writing to me. TRELJA@aol.com
Though certainly not in the same genre knowledge wise as Sdcampbell, Trelja or the rest, would I be out of line to suggest something by the Modern Jazz Quartet? "Pyramid", "In a Crowd" and "The Complete Last Concert" are all very good. The latter two are live and the last, in addition to my father's love for Dixieland, are what originally got me interested in Jazz. Oscar Peterson's "Night Train" and almost anything by Bill Evans are also good suggestions. Sdcampbell, like Trelja, I too, would be interested in your take on the current crop of Jazz artists.