Should I bother to try a subwoofer?

My speakers are listed as going down to 40 HZ (Dynaudio 1.3 MkII monitors).
There is an REL Strata III available locally that I might snag, try out and re-sell if I don't like/need it. My question is this: since I would not be using this for movies, do I even need this? I mostly listen to classical music, more chamber than symphonic, and occasionally listen to rock, jazz and other pop styles.

Am I likely missing something without that lowest octave? I'm thinking that 99% of the time the sub might not even be in use if it kicks in at 40 Hz.

Any comments, purely theoretical or from experience, will be welcome.
128x128tostadosunidos
Nrenter,

At least one person here is recommending a crossover point of 80 hz (or higher). Me.

Marty

My earlier post explains my thinking. My own experience leads me to believe that high crossover points work best in most rooms, provided extreme care is used in managing the crossover function. I understand you prefer a different solution, but mileage does vary.
The "proper" sub frequency point should depend on the main speaker's low frequency capability and careful listening...if I set the REL too high up into the main speaker territory it gets muddy, untoward, unseemly, tawdry, flabby, unfocused, unrealistic, overbearing, and innacurrate, thus harshing my mellow.
Oh. If you do get a sub or two: find drag racing on tv, turn stereo up as high as courage allows, listen to them launch.
It is really cool the first time.
"Oh. If you do get a sub or two: find drag racing on tv, turn stereo up as high as courage allows, listen to them launch.
It is really cool the first time."

LOL!!!