CDP Upgrade

I'm thinking of upgrading my source and my wife has given me permission! I currently have the Rotel 1072, which is fine. I'd like to hear some suggestions regarding an upgrade and what I can expect by upgrading.

I'm considering the Cary 308T. But am open to suggestions.

Thanks.
hammergjh
I haven't bought anything yet. I was listening to a McCormack universal player the other day that was intriguing. My dealer dropped the Cary line. I was hoping to hear the new models. I guess they were problematic from a business and customer support perspective. The products were good, but the dealer had problems with the company.

The 308-T is not in the same league as the 306/200. at it's present used prices these days it's a steal.
Hammer, I also upgraded from a Rotel player. I suggest you up your budget a bit more and try the Ayre CX-7e or Resolution Audio Opus 21. You'll be amazed at the difference. And, so will your wife. So much so, she'll over look the price change. At least that's how it played out in my house.

Unless, you have some reason to get into SACD's (you're really rich or just masochistic), I would suggest staying away from the universal players. You'll get more bang for the buck for with a simple redbook player.
Since you can spring for up to $2,500 I'd go for the Ayre as well. The Ayre warranty is tranferrable and you will not find better customer service. Besides all this the unit sounds phenomenal. If you get one for $2,200 -$2,300 you can audition for a month and if you don't love it probably recoup 100% of you investment, (assuming you get one in 9+ condition). You can't go wrong with many of the selections notated earlier but my two cents would say to track down an Ayre player and give it a shot.
Hammergjh - You certainly have more patience than I do; once I have "upgraditis" I can't wait for months to buy! Good for you - you are taking the time to audition all comers and buy the one that pleases your ears the most.

Just to throw some more choices in the ring, I ended up buying a Audio Aero Prima CD-player. I really like its sound - and its looks - and am quite pleased with my purchase.

I am now using my Rotel CDP for my modest computer room music system. It works well for that, but the Prima is a keeper for my main system.

Holly