What are you 'TRULY' Looking for in Loudspeaker...

and system? Have you really studied the options and do you really understand what they can possibly give you in return? I am being very, very honest. I am not at all looking for pedantic, argumentive jabber. Looking past slight compromises you are willing to give up in this journey, what do you really want in a loudspeaker??? Complicated if you are a novice. I would like to hear from some experienced audiophiles. Thank you, Dale.
128x128dalecrommie
The speaker should be able to reproduce all frequencies top to bottom and IMO have a flat response. It should convey what it being sent to it and that is all I look for in a speaker. My components should be sending the flow of music as I prefer the sound to be and the speaker should be able to recreate what those components send to it. I see many posts about warm sounding speakers, detailed speakers, resolution, soundstage, definition, separation, placement, etc., but that comes mostly from my preamp. I don't want my speaker to be a tuning point for my system that changes the sound being sent to it.
For me listening to music has always been a very visceral experience. I don't get too caught up in specs or logic or scientific explanation for what I perceive I am hearing. That being said I want speakers to evoke emotion. For me that emotion comes from fantastic reproduction of vocals. The timbre and "texture" of the human voice needs to be there. I will also admit the way a speaker looks is important to me as well. Part of the pleasure I get from my stereo is enjoying the way it looks and the way my listening room is decorated. There I said it. I guess I am a shallow audiophile.
The speaker who disappears fully. So it is just you and the music. Like the singer and instruments play in front of you. The speaker which also can let you hear a lot of depth and wide. Every instrument and voice is standing full loose from eachother.
Put on a good Blue Note.

Then an RCA Living Stereo symphonic, a good Reiner performance.

Then a Classic Records release of Brubeck Time Out.

Next a good female vocal....Ella Fitzgerald would be good.

A good male vocal.

The speaker that makes them all sound the closest to live music is what I am looking for.

All the other audiophile descriptions are crap. The most convincing on the above variety is the best.

If you don't know what they all sound like live get out there more.