When is digital going to get the soul of music?

I have to ask this(actually, I thought I mentioned this in another thread.). It's been at least 25 years of digital. The equivalent in vinyl is 1975. I am currently listening to a pre-1975 album. It conveys the soul of music. Although digital may be more detailed, and even gives more detail than analog does(in a way), when will it convey the soul of music. This has escaped digital, as far as I can tell.
mmakshak
Albertporter - I agree. CD sampling rate of 44kHz is a joke but it has nothing to do with being analog or digital. Imagine fast internet downloads in true 24bits/192kHz (around the corner). Would analog made from this material still be better?

You're missing the point completely. Did you read what I wrote or just want to argue for digital? You appear to be a person without much experience that's angry someone would challenge your vision of the perfect sound forever BS they threw at us.

As for would 24bits/192kHz be better as a DIGITAL format, theoretically I would think so. There is no guarantee the record companies won't ruin that too, but I hope not. I'm ready to buy if they fix the problem.

Sure, there is a lot of used records (won't last forever) but what about new exciting artist/releases available only in digital.
According to RIAA total amount of LPs sold in 2007 was 1 million — a joke.

What does that have to do with this topic?
When will digital (CD's) get the soul of music?

No one said CD's were not a sales success, McDonalds is an even bigger success but that does not mean they are the best quality.

I've had a lot of CD players, some retail for more than $20K, there are big differences in quality with the best ones but the player cannot make up for the lack of resolution on current CD format. Of course a really great turntable cannot make up for a crappy LP either.

However, taking the best of each hardware and the best of each software, the LP is the winner when it comes to available formats at best quality.
Mapman - Good question. I don't think they know how to handle it yet. They shot themselfs in the foot keeping high prices and poor recording quality of CDs and sales are down (empty stores). They also loose a lot of money on stuff being illegally copied and are dramatically searching for the new, well copy protected format (SACD, HDCD). Latest, I heard, is CODE pushed by some artist (N. Young, Mellencamp). It is 24bit/96kHz 2 channel recording on DVD media at the price of standard CD. Latest Mellencamp's record was released on CODE (so I heard).
Mapman, you posted while I was composing my response.

I agree that digital could be great and said so in my original post. As for your experience with digital being better in some cases, I have yet to have that happen in my system. There have been hundreds of tests on my system over the years, sometimes involving manufacturers and even other reviewers.

However, I have had master digital files played here and also at a friends home and you have no idea what a digital master is capable of.

Source is everything! You cannot fix the problem downstream no matter how good the other equipment is.
"However, I have had master digital files played here and also at a friends home and you have no idea what a digital master is capable of. "

Oh yes I do......

Did it get the "soul" of the music?
"As for your experience with digital being better in some cases, I have yet to have that happen in my system."

I've only a/b tested more pop/rock recordings where I can assert clearly that it has.

I was surprised when it happened though with "Days Of Future Passed" by the Moody Blues, though (see my reviews here).

I would expect many more cases favoring vinyl with large scale symphonic recordings in general, from my experience.

Other than that, well produced CDs work to my satisfaction in general, but I would prefer higher resolution with digital if done well in most all cases.

W