Do not buy any Sonus Faber used

Sumiko just announced that
"IN ADDITION, SUMIKO WILL NOT SUPPLY PARTS AND/OR SERVICE FOR ANY SONUS FABER PRODUCT WITHOUT PROOF OF PURCHASE FROM A SUMIKO AUTHORIZED DEALER IN NORTH AMERICA ".

What a curious statement . Can you imagine Volkswagen refusing to provide parts for their own cars, no matter where they were bought? I do hope other distributors will follow. It would surely drive the prices down considerably on Audiogon for used gear.
limono
""""12-06-11: Janeb
How many times have you bought a speaker and it has had a problem during its limited warranty period...I never have."""""

dont worry it will happen. as soon as You will get your first system it may hapen. :-)
I would love to see this tested legally. I know that there are some here who think a company has the right to make any condition it wants, but thats not true, and there would be huge problems if it was. Judges like to make rulings based on industry standards. Who reads every document set down before them. Really, think about it. We sign stuff all the time, everywhere, without giving it a thought. What stops companies from taking advantage of that. "Let the buyer beware" is not a legal defense and if it was, the marketplace couldn’t exist. Judges rule against this kind of thing all the time simply because it is unreasonable.
It must be important for companies to protect their distributors and their territories. It has to be worthwhile to promote and support products that are sold though developed dealer networks.
"It must be important for companies to protect their distributors and their territories.”

Agreed. And if there is a problem, then they need to tighten up their distribution chain. They simply cannot place that burden on the end user. They are the manufacturer. Every speaker out there was originally in their possession. They chose who to sell them to. If the distribution network is not functioning as intended, then it is their problem. Broaden your thinking and really consider the precedence, legal ramifications and potential for abuse. No contract can cover everything. People buy and sell things all the time based on very reasonable assumptions, including that a company's repair facility will offer repair. A buyer has certain rights based on nothing more that the reasonable expectations of “this is the way it’s alway been done”. And I suspect strongly that even if a company was allowed an exception, it would be with the responsibility of making sure that their oddball policy was well understood by every prospective buyer.