Exceptional value in speakers today?

I'm looking for "sleeper" speaker companies - brands that aren't well known and offer exceptional value.

For years I have been a fan of ACI speakers - the company only sold direct, didn't advertise, but their speakers were consistently compared favorably with speakers costing many times more - in both "professional" reviews and end user reviews.

I am fortunate to have some of their speakers, as the company is no more. Which leads me to my question - there must be a similar company (or several) doing something similar today. Since these tend to be small companies that don't advertise, I thought I'd ask here for some pointers. The big guys are easy to find...

Thanks in advance.

(BTW - my current shopping list is for a pair of monitor speakers for a recording studio. I'm looking for un-powered speakers of exceptional quality (and at a price point <$1k). I need speakers that are good at revealing any flaws in the mix. I already have some high end professional near field monitors (Genelec) and am looking to augment those).
mark_scrivener
I'm a bit skeptical about giant killer speakers just because I can also listen to a more modest system and be impressed and find it enjoyable. I have a HT system composed of mid-fi speakers from a brand that sells both mid-fi and high end. I can put a CD in the blu-ray player and enjoy the music. It sounds great. So why do I hang on to my costly stereo system? Simple, the sound and the detail are way beyond the next level. I lived without my good stereo system for a couple of years while in Europe. I used a mid-fi system and really was thinking about selling it all (the hi-fi) when I got back, but then I listened to it when I got home and was hooked all over again. The music is just too liquid and the detail so engaging. More modest systems are fine for a while but I get bored with them in a short period of time. I wouldn't buy a speaker without hearing it first. I also lean towards professional reviews only because the reviewers have the experience of hearing so many brands and types and can quickly pick up on the cues separating the great speakers from the good ones. One last comment: The law of diminishing returns. The cost goes up quickly for smaller and smaller gains in sound. More discerning listeners with the means are rewarded with the highest standards obtainable.
Tonywinsc:

Great system. First rate equipment. But I suspect the ROOM is biggest contributor to the outstanding sound. Great room.
Well...I am going to go more mainstream than most of the posters here and say that , generally, the two best selling speaker brands in High End history --- Magnepan and Vandersteen --- are so successful because they sell great sounding, high-value --- and I emphasize high value --- speakers that are robust, last forever and, when a problem arises, these two firms back their product. There is a reason these giants have lasted decades and still sell strong as johnny-come-lately after johnny-come-lately speaker after speaker goes out of business. Also Martin Logan is a high value brand too.
I hadn't even considered benchmarks like Magnepan, Vandersteen , or Martin Logan - thinking everything they made was too big (and too expensive) for this project.

Some surprising finds:

Magnepan Mini Maggie - a bookshelf ribbon speaker! About $1500 (includes sub)...I need to check these out.

Vandersteen VLR1 (about $1k pr)- bookshelf with coaxial driver.

Martin Logan LX16 ($800 pr) - bookshelf with folded ribbon.

Thanks Robsker! Now to find somewhere around San Jose where I can audition these.