Can the RA Opus 21 rock better than a Wadia?

I was almost set on getting a used Wadia unit but recently came across the Resolution Audio Opus 21. Reading the reviews, the Opus seems intriguing and a good puchase. I am thinking of picking up one brand new.

I listen primarily to rock, blues, pop with some occasional jazz. I like music that's pacy, rhythmic - where there's plenty of drive and energy, without the sound becoming too 'digital' and sacrificing air and sounstage. Where I live, I don't have a chance to audition the Opus and hoping that Audiogoners on this site can advise me.

I gather from all the positive reviews that the Opus is a great, vinyl-sounding, detailed, musical machine with good PRAT. Wanted to know if the RA21 can best the Wadia range of CD players from the 301 to 861 as a CD player that plays rock and blues. What advantages does the RA21 have over the Wadia house sound?

Any opinions from users of both machines are much appreciated.
raymond_tan
Between the two, I'd opt for the Wadia, especially for your music preferences.
And I prefer the Resolution Audio Opus 21. (FYI, we have identical taste in music, FWIW).

The Opus 21 has a vinyl like sound (close, but not quite there, IMHO), that makes the music come to life. (Now, if you can stretch your budget a bit more, the Audio Aero Capitole II is even better, (and even closer to the sound of vinyl), but even used it is more expensive, @ $4,500.) I prefer the sound of vinyl to any digital sound I have heard, and while the Wadia is good, it just did not have that touch of vinyl sound that I like.

BTW, Resolution Audio used to have a return policy that if within 30 days you don't like it, you can return it for a 95% refund, less shipping. YOu might want to check with Jeff Kalt, with R.A., to see if that is still in effect. (BTW, Jeff is a great guy, and will do anything in his power to help you. Always nice to have a guy stand up beind his product.)

Good Luck in your search!

PS The Opus 21 has an excellent analog volume control built-in that you can use if you wish to avoid using a preamp (both the RCA and XLR outputs use it). However, if you use a preamp like I do (i.e. for other sources like a turntable!), than you can bypass the volume control by using the DIN output. I do this myself. I have a specially made DIN-XLR Interconnct cable using an Audience Au24 cable. (Although you can make it DIN-RCA if you choose, as the DIN is not a balanced output). This improves the sound to its ulimate performance.
Hi Raymond,

I haven't heard the Wadia's so I can't really compare them, but I have owned a couple of Resolution Audio Opus 21's so I can provide an opinion of it.

The RA Opus 21 is a very good CD player IMHO. I've owned 5 or 6 different high-end CD players and the RA Opus 21 is the one that I've preferred by a good margin. It is fairly analog sounding in my setup and it does have a very rhythmic sound. It has great bass definition and bass lines are very easy to follow, where they were somewhat muddled on some of my other CD players.

As Kurt stated, RA has a 30 day return policy and would only charge a 5% restocking fee if you returned it. I have owned 2 different Opus 21's that I bought used on this site. Both were perfect. The first one I re-sold at zero loss and I ended up buying another used one as I was unhappy with the interim player (a different brand) that I bought.

You may want to consider a used one since they seem to hold their value very well once the initial depreciating kicks in. A quality used one can be purchased for under $2500. You might get lucky and get one for around $2000 (as I did). Anyway, if you go used, make sure it is a very recent model with the "new" quiet transport and direct access remote control.

BTW, I use mine connected directly to my power amps using the built-in analog volume control. I save a bunch of money by not needing a comparably good pre-amp in my system.

Enjoy,

TIC
Thanks for all your helpful insight.

The Opus 21 is seriously tempting. Any Wadia users out there compared the two and have a take on this?