Not your everyday bookshelf speaker?

I am looking for a bookshelf speaker. I currently have some B & W CM5's, which I like a lot, but I feel that my little Sonos 55 watt amp is underwhelming while driving them. I am looking for suggestions about speaker companies that are seldom heard of that make high value, highly efficient, excellent sounding speakers. Kind of like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack - hidden treasure speaker company. Any suggestions? Model numbers?
Thanks..
mattcone
I love my LaHave Mela monitors. I have posted about them in the forums here.
You might want to take the line out from the Sonos and run the line level signal into a powered monitor. (This preserves the "hands off" automation of the Sonos, since these are usually signal sensing, auto-on devices). IME, this can be a high value solution for improved SQ via Sonos.

Powered pro monitors usually offer great value, if you can live with a plain cabinet. I use the M-Audio BX5a in my kitchen and get great results for a $200/pr investment. KRK makes a similar series of products that are highly regarded. You can find improved cosmetics at a higher price from home audio producers like Quad and Paradigm (discontinued, I believe - but likely available used).

I think that NHT still makes a reasonably priced option and Audioengine's offering has been well received by some here on A'gon.

Good Luck.

Marty
Reference 3a makes some excellent stand-mount speakers that are very efficient. Not cheap, but high value.
A bit of clarification re: my post above.

I think folks have identified some very good monitors here (specifically, I really like the Lipinskis), but....

IME, the amplified Sonos Zone players always sound a bit tinny, regardless of how little they are stressed by a speaker's load. More sensitive speakers aren't IMHO the answer here. Worse yet, better (more revealing) speakers are simply likely to make the internal amp's shortcomings more obvious. That's why I suggest bypassing the amp entirely (or going for the unamplified zone players).

A powered ZP is fine for casual listening, but if you're looking for something that allows real scrutiny, I'd go for an external amp or powered speakers.

If your budget allows, powered speakers from PMC or ATC are excellent choices, as well.

Marty