green mountains

hi,

I am a green mountain user, I have the chromas. I want to find out about other peoples opinions on the Eos or Rio speakers from green mountain audio?
kenjit
Dallasjustice, I think this is off topic, but if there is a way to respond directly to you I have not discovered it.
In short, I find them extremely good - I now have 3 amps to dispose of.
Shakey, I own a 4-way system, which began life as Green Mountain Audio Imagos, not sure about the version, but that's irrelevant because only the original cabinets remain.
How do tweak these to world class performance?

Re-wire using Dueland's four nines silver ribbon inside wire or version 1.0 or so.

Move the crossovers to the bottom of the speaker (instead of in separate boxes) eliminating
connecters that rob both signal strength and quality.

Upgrade the cross-over components, and finally roll in NOS drivers, except for the current construction super tweeters. Flavor cross-over points to taste. If you use the "good stuff", allow 150-200 hours of break-in time, with a signal playing through it, before any serious or critical listening.
Hi Georger,
I own a pair of Eos HD and am astonished each time I listen to them, just how lifelike the sound is that they produce, regardless of musical genre or instrument in question. I am intrigued with your mention of Roy upgrading your Eos to the newest "HX" iteration. Can I ask what that cost, about how long it took, and what changes you noted over your original Eos in term of sound quality? I am guessing for Roy to take the trouble to release a new version, the change will likely be significant, but am curious on your thoughts after hearing before and after the upgrade.
Thanks so much,
Chris
Cporada, My EOS were among the first built and Roy had made some modifications to the crossover. In Nov 2011 I think the cost was around $800: the only things NOT replaced were the HF driver and the enclosure, and I drove them to Roy's place so shipping was not needed. I think it took about 3 hours for the total job. Differences are most notable on the LF end - better than before. BTW, since I was able to sell several amplifiers and my old speakers (Linns and Velodyne) that I replaced with a pair of GMA Chromas driven by W4S SX-500 monos - very good sound indeed, much like the EOSs - and more than sufficient for the small room where my digital darkroom is located.
George
More to discover