B&W Matrix 801 Series II

There is a pair for sale in my area for $2000. Anyone have an opinion on these speakers? Are they good sounding speakers or just okay? I believe they are pretty old. My interest in them is because they are local so no shipping and I understand B&W makes some very good speakers. Thanks for the help.
wemfan
Hi Elee - regarding the different 800 series BAF's/Equalizers.
Comparing the Maughan box and Krell
the Maughan box alters B&W parameters and provides a 6 db punch in the low end.
In my room this provides for a warmer sound - less resolution as more bass emphasis obscures some midrange/hf detail in the room.
The Krell follows the B&W parameters. There is more resolution detail, the bass is punchier. Better tonal balance - bass/mids/highs overall - imo.
But this also exposes bad recordings more.
The preamp I use has variable gain. Turning the gain down on those recordings makes the recordings at least listenable so I can enjoy the music.
Although the Krell is the most expensive it is worth it imo both from a sonics and build perspective.
However - If placing any 800 matrix series speaker in a livelier room; the Maughan will tame the highs better if room treatment is not an option.
Cheers

Cheers
Phasecorrect -
Factor in sound, performance, value, resell, warranty, and convenience going new becomes more aytractive.

Provide brand & model of just ONE example of a new speaker that is:

1) Full range
2) Within the price ranges being discussed
3) that doesn't lose big time depreciation as soon as you walk out the door with them.

I'd like to know what it is.
Not a fan of the house sound, though on one occasion in a rather unusual room, I heard the model one down from them sound quite wonderful.
I can't help but wonder if the cost of shipping them from England compromises the value?
FWIW, I'd spend the money on other offerings.
Hi Tls49
I disagree with your bi-amping suggestion, as this will create a coherence problem.

Here's my take on it.
for myself my Quad 57's with the RM10 amp are very coherent and are a mid frequency reference for me. They help keep me honest to myself and in check when I play in this hobby.
I have always needed to hear things for myself.
So, if I already own the gear needed; and what I am thinking of doing will NOT:
1) blow up my speakers
2) make my amp/s self destruct
3) cause other harm; like make my dog run in circles

then I say - go for it and give it try - as you will learn first hand what this sounds like yourself.
Quite a time ago I tried biamping with two different amps.
It sounded ok not perfect, but it did give me a glimpse of what having SS on woofers and Tubes on mids and tweeters can sound like.
If I wanted to go further with this it would have required an expensive active crossover. I didn't pursue it further.

Cheers