B&W Matrix 801 Series II

There is a pair for sale in my area for $2000. Anyone have an opinion on these speakers? Are they good sounding speakers or just okay? I believe they are pretty old. My interest in them is because they are local so no shipping and I understand B&W makes some very good speakers. Thanks for the help.
wemfan
Hi Elee
I would upgrade to the matrix 800, but that would need some serious amp power, possibly more room than I have now.

Despite their menacing appearance the matrix 800's are the most room friendly speakers I have ever owned.
The double woofers top and bottom each excite a different set of waves.
result is the waves cancel each other out. the response is very smooth.
The cabinet for the upper woofer is even heavier than the bottom one as it doesn't have the floor to help dampen it.
the owners manual confirms how different placements worked well during B&W testing.
This includes widely spaced and angled in; as well as in a narrow room shooting straight down.

Another example of how room friendly they are can also be seen from the actual Stereophile review by musician Lewis Lipnick with his 800's

His room was on the small side with low ceilings.

I studied them for a number of years thinking about buying them.
The only time they come up for sale it seems is if the music lover/audiophile is retiring into a small condo and needs to part with them or Divorce. A retiree is how I happened on mine.
Cheers
GOOD NEWS TO REPORT!!!!

I called down to the store a little while ago and made the deal. I will pick the speakers up tomorrow but it may be the weekend before I have the time to get them hooked up and play with them. Anyway, they are mine. Now, to just get these huge boxes home!!!
Thanks guys. I have them home but I haven't had a chance to hook them up yet. I do plan on listening to them this weekend though. I will report back as soon as I listen to them.