Is This Amp OK for This Speaker?

I have a Dynaudio Contour T2.1 Center Channel speaker, impedance listed at 6 ohms. Also have a Marantz SM-80 (bridged/mono) that I want to use to drive the Contour T2.1.

Specs for the SM-80:

Rated power output (20 Hz-20 kHz)
8 ohms RMS...100 Wx2
4 ohms RMS...150 Wx2
8 ohms mono...300 Wx1

Back of the amp, at the speaker terminals, reads 2CH minimum 4 ohms, Mono (bridged) 8 ohms.

Any issues with the SM-80 driving the Contour T2.1?
stevensctt
Hi Steven,

I think you should be fine. Center Channel is highly unlikely to require huge demands from an amp, and yours has specs that look pretty good.

FYI, if your speaker were a full range speaker with a 6ohm impedance, there probably would be more questions required before one could make a proper assessment. The reason is that the 'nominal 6ohm' load does not mean there is not some nasty 2ohm load in a certain part of the frequency spectrum which could tax your amp. Generally, many large tower speakers also could use a lot more juice to be driven well, regardless of the impedance load.

Again, though, yours is a center channel speaker so you should be in good shape. Good luck and enjoy!
Lloyd,

Thanks for the reply. The Dynaudio Contour T2.1 has specs more typical of a full (or fuller) range speaker: Sensitivity 86dB, FR 32 Hz - 25 kHz.

Thinking there are more suitable amps than the SM-80 bridged.
Yes it is going to work "fine" but a better amp will give you finer results.
Hi Steven,

The center channel may well have broader specs...but i strongly suspect that the information provided to it by your process will probably end up limiting its performance to a very manageable range for the amp.

i would be quite surprised if the process put 32hz-60hz through the center channel too much...i admit i could be wrong, but even if it did...i am confident the processor would put much more of that energy through your main speakers plus your sub.