What is the minimum distant for Zu?

This is for Zu definition owners, I have the def3's and now have them about 10 in from front wall and about 2 ft from sides

What is the minimum from the front you recommend? thanks,Scott
52tiger
Rrog's idea makes sense if the speakers have similar frequency, power and radiation responses and the listening position is fixed.
You all have good points, but my prior speakers were the Zu Presence and they were rectangular so totally different shape than the Definition 3, I think they worked best close to the side wall like 14 in but the def3 doesnt like it so much
Zu has said in the past that Def models with rear-firing sub-bass arrays can be used as close as 2" from the wall behind them. And it's true. Is that ideal? Depends on your room and how much flexibility you have for placement.

What's more important with Definitions is making sure the distance between you, the listener, and the speakers is usable. Def 1.5 and Def2 did not soundstage nor tonally integrate well if the listener sat closer than 10' from the speakers. Sean Casey told me that Def3 and 4 are usable as close as 8' from the listener. While I suggest more, I have to say the deleterious effects of sitting too close to Def 4s are much less troublesome to illusion of fidelity than doing same with Def2 or earlier.

The rear-firing sub drivers are active below 40Hz unless you set the EQ to roll them I higher. Don't. Let your Def3s end up as close to the wall behind them as is necessary for you to achieve full tonal and spatial integration at an appropriate distance listening. Prioritizing distance to the wall over correct minimum listening distance will make deny you the speaker's full benefits. Work with your room.

Phil
Onhwy61, You are right about the listening position being fixed. I have experienced this in the last three homes I have lived in with a variety of speakers from Martin Logan full range electrstatics, Magnepan, Vandersteen and Dunlavy to smaller speakers from Green Mountain Audio, Von Schweikert and Revel. All of these speakers performed their best in the same location. There will always be minor adjustments, but the room plays a bigger part in the overall sound than most people realize.
52tiger, If you specify your room dimensions and constraints for moving your listening chair we could offer some more detailed advice.

I don't own Zu's but the more you pull your speakers away from the back wall the longer the arrival time is for the reflected sound. If the arrival time is too short it is perseived as direct sound and smears the image. You may want to read up on room acoustics for more information.

Sean