McIntosh MA 6100 new 1975
McIntosh MR 78
B&W Matrix 1 Digital Monitors
Kenwood KD 500 w/Denon DL-301 II
Musical pref: Vinyl - Jazz, Classical 3%cd

NOTE:
I will be auditioning B&W Preference 6 speakers next wk
lees2mac
Like anything, it's a more a matter of how much you love the sound of the MA6100. Audio Classics in Vestal NY can give you an idea of refurbish vs. upgrade cost options.

FWIW, B&Ws are power hungry, so you might want to consider trading up to a more powerful unit. You will get a better signal-to-noise ratio and pick up some depth.

Good luck & happy listening!
No ..Not worth it. And I am a Mac guy. You would do MUCH better investing in some new electronics.Sell the the Mac 6100 or use it in a 2nd system.While this is a great unit and built like a tank.It suffers from old solid state electronics and you can do a lot better in todays used market.Try a Tube integrated or a Hybrid tube/solid state integrated amp. You will be amazed at the sound you can achieve if you pair those B&W's up with the right amp. Happy hunting.
Also, I would check on that DL-103 with the tonearm you are using. This cartridge works with heavy arms like the ones used by old DJ record stations. And I am not sure if it is a good fit for the table/tonearm you are using. The DL103 has a comliance of 25. I strongly suggest you try a different cartridge like a Ortofon red or blue or a Shure. Something with around 10 compliance would be a world of difference for a medium sized tonearm. Do you notice your speaker woofers pumping in and out way too much when you spin vinyl?? This is a great indication of a mismatch with cart/tonearm.
Thanks for the advice, I have learned some things. I am using the SME type III tonearm and the Denon AU - 320 cartridge transformer(forgot to mention it). Per your suggestion, I checked the woofers while playing a vinyl record, the bass was prominent, woofers well behaved. Mattmiller, you stated a comliance (sic) of 25. My specs for the DL 301 II read Compliance: dynamic 13 x 10-3m/N. I feel I should know more than this but do not. I will take yours and Effischer's advice re the upgrade to a new amp. Exciting, actually.
Should I resolve the electronics and possibly cartdidge issue before deciding on the speakers. Note that I am to audition the B&W preference 6 speakers this week.
Your input is very much apperciated
Your Mac will sound significantly better with a full refurbishing; new caps and parts, not merely a cleaning and calibration. I have some 70's Mac, Yamaha and Luxman that was refurbed and I love using them. But I agree that in pure sonic terms it is not worth the cost. But if you love your Mac and want to enjoy it for another 20 years...