CD Player Recommendations 5-8k range please help

Okay guys, looking for recommendations for CD players or trans/dac in the 5-8k range, new or used. My system: 380s Levinson preamp, 336 Levinson amp, B&W Diamond 801 speakers, Audioquest cables. I own and have been using the Levinson 390s cd player (very good all around, maybe lacking in detail?), and recently tried Ayre CX-7e (impressed, good detail and bottom end, but soundstage not as good?). Why am I upgrading? Made the mistake of buying a VPI Scoutmaster, Shelter 501 mk2 cart, and Sutherland PHD phono preamp. Mistake? Not really, the sound with good vinyl kills the cd players I have, but I do not have time for all that is required with analog. I sold the analog system, and am searching for that great sound from a cd player. Help! Any suggestions for me? Thank you in advance!
corvette_tuner
Vette_Tuner, nice rig! All you may need is a different set of cables and the sound will open up. Are you running balanced cables? I don't know what AQ wires you are using, but if you want more detail with great soundstage and natural timbre, try Acoustic Zen Silver Ref MkII from your Levinson cdp to your preamp and from there to amp try Acoustic Zen Matrix Ref MkII. If I were you, I'd do that before changin that good cdp to something else. Just another option to consider, short of changing the player.
If you liked the sound of the Ayre CX-7e your will absolutely love the sound of their C-5xe. Outdistances the 7 in every parameter and delivers a soundstage with depth along wiht outstanding detail. I have not heard the other players mentioned above and they are probably all excellent, but the C-5 is in your price range, and definately offer significant improvement over their other player that you were partially impressed with.
Great responses and recommendations, thank you! Please keep them coming!

I am running balanced xlr between the cd, pre and amp. Im using AQ Volcano for speaker cables, Madrigal Labs between amp and pre, and AQ Lapis between cd and pre.
Today, I tried a pair of Nordost Heimdall xlr's between the ML cd and pre, the sound was better, more detail. Also, I was able to run both the ML and Ayre cd players back to back to compare, and even though Im impressed with the Ayre, the ML is better in most areas. Tighter fuller bass, much better soundstage and separation, just less detail and air than the Ayre. For the money, the Ayre is a bargain, it does everything well. Just my .02.

Will try lots of cables first before trying to upgrade the Levinson. The Ayre will be for sale soon. Im almost tempted to keep it as I like the sound... just dont need 2 cd players.

Thank you to suggest more cables to try.

Hi Corvette_tuner,

I agree with Tvad on this one, for your money, I don't think you will hear better than APL. I have not heard all the units recommended, but I have not heard better than the APL. Please read 711Smilin, and Boa2 for the list of players they have owned before buying APL. You can find some nice APL offerings in Audiogon right now!

Good luck,

Mark