Is HDCD dead?

I'm looking at players on this site and hardly none of them seem to encode "HDCD".Is this used in some of the newer players yet?In the past the cd's that had the HDCD label on them all sounded better than regular redbook cd's.Why are'nt more players using this technology.Does anyone have a list of players that use HDCD encoding?
spaz
Funny, I went to look at a Naim player and loved what it was doing on HDCDs, but the Electrocompaniet was better on other discs due to upsampling.

I've got the Cary on the short list as well.

And I'll second the comments about how well the HDCD discs sound, even on players that don't decode the full process.
My former PS Audio DAC had HDCD decoding, which sounded good on all 5 of my cd's with HDCD. My new Northstar Design DAC doesn't have HDCD decoding and sounds way better with the 495 cd's that are not HDCD decoded. So....
Generally I love the HDCD playback on my Cary 303/300. It can be a little edgy with some material, but where it is edgy it appears to be due to the mastering of the disc rather than the Cary. Of course, running it through the tube output takes that edginess right off on the few discs that don't sound better in HDCD.
I'm not to sure on other disc with HDCD.But what ever they did on those Grateful Dead Remasters are nothing short of a miracle.Listen to the disc "Reconing",the track China doll is so holographic its scared me.Garcia voice is suspended about 6 feet above my speakers and on the redbook cd his voice is about eye level.Is this in the remastering or is it from hdcd??
Spaz...It's the mix. An extra 4 bits of resolution would (perhaps) have other benefits. HDCD is/was a very clever idea to live with the 16 bit CD. The extra 8 bits of DVDA or SACD are even better, and come with higher sampling rate, and that's why HDCD is dead. (Except that the technology may live on for video, which is why Microsoft bought it).