Help with decision on selling Sony SCD-1

I've owned the SCD-1 for a couple of years (purchased it used) and have been very happy with how it sounds. However, I don't own but around 20 SACDs, and it's hard to imagine buying many more. Thus, my primary concern is redbook sound.

On the other hand, I've been buying more and more vinyl of late and am thinking about upgrading my turntable rig (NAD-33 and Ortofon OM 20).

It strikes me that if I sold the SCD-1, I could buy a less expensive CD player and have a decent amount of cash left over to invest in my vinyl rig.

The question is whether or not I really can improve upon the redbook sound of the SCD-1 for considerably less money?

I have been told by some the that even the Oppo 971 sounds better than the SCD-1 on redbook, whereas others have said the SCD-1 can't be beat without spending considerably more money.

I'd be interested to hear from folks who have owned the SCD-1 and sold it for something less expensive, as well as others who may some knowledge on this issue. Thanks.
jonathan1257
I have a modified SCD-777ES. It is by far the best red book player I have had. I would modify your SCD-1 and you get almost vinyl preformance out of redbook.
They no longer make the sled motor for the SCD-1 so I would sell asap.Check AA under SACD area for more info.They are scrambling around trying to get extra motor's to no avail.There will soon be a glut of them for sale like the Phillips-1000.JD
Have you considered a DAC to upgrade the sound of the redbook? I ask this as I'm having similar thoughts about my DVP-9000es. Like you I have very few SACDs. But I like the Sony transport.
The idea of selling it just because no spare parts are available is silly.
The usual lifespan of Sony laser assy is several 100,000 hours of play time.
I have owned many Sony uper end players and never had a failure until my ES89 5 disc, playing non-stop for many years, had a problem with the dats cable connecting the sled to the board failed. That was 15 hrs a day EVERY day for eight years at least....
Aside from viability, (I own a SCD777ES) the transport of the SCD-1 is as good a redbook as you can get for anywhere near the price.
(I bought mine just for Redbook, and plan on keeping it until i die.. )
You will not do better for the money. I hope there gets to be a glut on the market so I can buy another one cheap. I will also keep mine until the bitter end. My scd-1 is a fully modified unit and it is simply stunning in its presentation. It easily competes and betters players costing several thousands more than I paid for it including the mods.

Chuck