Why do Harbeth speakers have such a cult following

Let me start by saying I'm not here to bash Harbeth speakers.I have actually listened to 3 different pairs before I bought my current speakers.I thought they sounded good but I don't understand all the hype around them.They seem to have a cult following like Linn and Naim. What is creating the cult following among Harbeth speakers?
taters
Yogiboy,

There is some truth to what you say....." I think you should think twice about going for the larger Harbeth......... Bigger is not always better. "

This reminds me of back when I was purchasing my reference speakers, Dunlavy SCIV Signatures. In the dealer's large showroom, I was able to compare my SCIV's with the larger SCV's. They both had the same sonic signatures, but the larger SCV's were that much better in every respect.

I then actually talked in great length with John Dunlavy, the designer of these speakers and he said that because of the size of MY listening room, the smaller SCIV's would outplay the larger SCV's. Although the SCV's are technically the better speaker, they were just too big for my room to handle properly. So it is of paramount importance to match your speakers to the room that they will be playing in.

I'm sure that Egoben has taken his room into consideration and feels the sonic gains that he will achieve with the larger 30.1's in the majority of his music replay will far outweigh what it may lack in the select few of his recordings.

Your point is very well worth considering though, as many probably forget the important role that your listening room plays in sound reproduction.
To Yogiboy and No_regrets,

I know what you mean and I am very well aware of that a smaller and cheaper speaker model sometimes is better than a bigger one! It depends on the room and the electronics, among other things. In fact, each new speaker model I get, tend to be smaller and smaller each time, both physcially and concerning deep bass. I have listenened to both the small Harbeth P3ESR and the 30.1 in my home with my electronics. I like both speakers and would like to own both. Even though the 30.1 has an 8" woofer, it doesn't go lower than my previous Dynaudio speakers with a smaller woofer than that. Which is a good thing in my room. I don't want too deep bass. First, I don't like it, and my small (16sqm) room tend to create boominess, and secondly, my neighbours won't like it either and I like to play music late at night.

My taste in music is of course also another factor why I like Harbeth so much. I don't know how but for some reason, most older music sounds better than most new music. It might be the modern mastering (loudness war), of course, but that can't be the only reason. I don't know. For example, I played "Silver & Gold" by Neil Young released in the year 2000. Sounds great, a great record (if you like Neil Young like I do)! A little later, I played his record "Comes A Time", released 1978, and you can really hear what a difference it is. It's so much better soundwise, more natural, more real, every instrument and the vocals, are just perfect, like it was played and recorded in my room! Before that, I played Miles Davis' classic "Kind of Blue", and, well, it is really something! I haven't heard these records sound as good and natural before with any other speaker I have listenened to. And for me, that's what it's all about.

(If anyone's interested in listening to the small Harbeth P3ESR speakers (or any other model I guess), just have in mind that they sound much better put on stands, than on a shelf or bench or something. I first listened to them without proper stands, and I wasn't half as satisfied with the sound as with stands.)
I just wanted to add my thoughts on Harbeth because they are a perplexing speaker for me. I have a set of SHL5 and they are unlike anything else in my experience. I've heard Harbeth described as warm, colored, recessed highs, non-hifi, that the cabinets add resonance. In my case, non of these descriptors is true. Once I got them locked in position, they are some of the most amazing beasts. The center image is spooky - it shimmers and hangs in the air. The center image doesn't ask to be taken seriously, it is right there like a brilliant diamond. In my small listening room 11x13, the bass is not too powerful but it is deep and rich. I use an Exposure 2010S2.

Regarding the tonality, I find the Harbeths cool and on the brighter side. My favorite music through them is rock and rap. I also like jazz but I turn to the Harbeths for harder music. They have an amazing way of allowing you to hear every word of the singer/rapper while no minimizing the rest of the music - to vocals are in the music, not apart from it.

Strangely, I thought I would LOVE vinyl and classical through the SHL5s but I am not drawn to them. The Harbeths are my rock/rap/heavy music speakers. Go figure!

I hope I didn't step on any toes - these are just my own thoughts and I may have expressed so basics incorrectly.

Regards, Michael

Hello Egoben,

You are very fortunate that you were able to audition both sets of Harbeths in your room. I would love to be able to that.

I appreciate your tip in regards to using dedicated speaker stands instead of a shelf, bench, etc.

Have you found a particular brand or style that seems to work well for you? Did you use the same type for both the P3ESR and 30.1?
Hello Michaelkingdom,

I enjoyed reading your thoughts in regards to your SHL5's. I believe that the sound of any speaker is greatly influenced by the room that they are playing in as the room becomes an extension of the speaker's cabinet.

So every room has varying nodes, reflective surfaces, as well as absorbing surfaces, etc. I think that this may be one reason some feel a particular speaker may sound warm and laid back and others may feel the same speaker may sound cold or lean or more upfront. So many variables in this hobby!