Is there really a need for panel speakers in 2012

Traditional box speakers have become so good nowadays is there really a need for panel speakers in 2012?
taters
"Was there really a need for the original question?"

You really have to consider the source. Anyone who knows Sudz from AA will know what I mean.

Shakey
Yep, Taters izzzz Sudz and vicey-versa. I just wish he'd stop asking his endless "in-depth", "probing", and meaningless questions. Givc it a break, luv...

-RW-
I'll fess up and admit I have occasionally wondered if there is really any need for any speakers that do not use Walsh drivers?

I guess they would not work very well mounted in ceilings or walls.

0-0
\_/

Honestly, I'm only half joking.

o-o
\_?
I love my 3.6 Magnepans. And would buy the 20.7s for my apartment in a heartbeat if i had the money at hand.
True the panels take up a little room, but the rewards are well worth it.
I used to have Infinity RSIIa in a tiny efficiency bac in the 1980s... So the Maggies are about the same size.

For folks who do not want to see the speakers.. i suggest buy Bose. Or some in wall units.
And most full range speakers take up as much physical room anyway. You still cannot just stick then against a wall. and the need to have space around them.. So what is the advantage anyway? None I can think of.
The fact the Manepans look bigger..? Turn them sideways.. LOL.
Shakydeal, Just because the people on AA don't like my questions doesn't mean the people here won't. I've been here for 10 years and have 100% perfect feedback!