Is there really a need for panel speakers in 2012

Traditional box speakers have become so good nowadays is there really a need for panel speakers in 2012?
taters
Taters,

an interesting question. The short answer is yes IMHO. The long answer is that some box speakers can have planar type aspects sonically these days. But just as drivers and materials have got better for cones and domes,so have planars.

My refurbished and modified Apogees are hard to beat. Graz ribbons which are made to higher tolerances than the original ribbons start to show up many other speakers.

Have a listen to the latest Magnepans and see which speakers can compete for the same budget?

You may need to rewrite your question to "Is there really a need for anything but panel speakers from now on?" Lol
Elizabeth, and that would be me.

But the good news is it's almost 2013 and then panels will be relevant again.

They are also a great place for trolls to hide behind.
So the "question validity topic and sarcasm police" don't have the day off. Members of this lofty crowd of opinionated elitists who feel that scoring a point for themselves in the race for "value judgement point score totals", can feel comforted by the like minded patting them on the back for circling together in their Snark Attack.
Wolf, there's a serious side to you. I like that. :-)

All kidding aside, there is a jump factor here that even amazes me. One can tell the humorous from the snarky.

All the best,
Nonoise