Is there really a need for panel speakers in 2012

Traditional box speakers have become so good nowadays is there really a need for panel speakers in 2012?
taters
Maggies miss a bet by not using artwork on their panels. Are they weirdly art-phobic at Magnapan? It's sort of obvious...really...with the option of a large bland hunk of fabric or something visually interesting you might want around...has this been done?
I had a discussion with my dealer about designs on the cloth. he said at one point Magneman investigated the idea, but never did anything further.
The problem with a design is "which design" I personally think some Japanese type screen thing might look interesting. But that is cool only for a certain type of decore.
So if Magnepan offered different fabrics, then people would want to SEE it in person, and want to change it, and I think any sane dealer would shoot the idea down fast.
If anyone wants a cover, itwould be easy to make a slip cover.. Not one memebr on any site i go to has ever mentioned the spouse making a slipcover for the Magnepan panels.

For myself, I do not think of the 3.6s i own as being any sort of problem.
But my taste in decore runs to "Audiophile geek/nut" so it does not matter anyway.
I actually wish I had a dedicated room for planars/panels, etc...until then....a conventional, well engineered 2 way(with a sub if u like) reference type monitor works for me...guess I can dream...