Dunlavy SC4 Speakers

Does anyone know what the value of a used set of Dunlavy SC4 speakers would be? These are the original SC4's early run I believe. The reason for the question is that I have a line on a set and I'm willing to pay fair market value which often is determined by a speakers popularity and not actual worth. I'm trying to determine a base line price with the seller without out getting into these are the best speakers ever made and that makes them worth a million bucks!

Thanks!
2channeljunkie
Bjesien post as much as you like the more the better. I have herd the SCIV speakers and do like them. I don't upgrade often(4kids and a wife) makes sure of that. Also seeing how I'm personal friends with the dealer they often will come out to the house for any repairs so I don't have to worry about packing and transporting heavy speakers and amps to the shop. As far price I never allow myself to get caught up in the hype of a product and the through the roof prices that come along with. While I think the SCIV's are cool I still have to be budget minded. Earlier this year my dealer had a set and wanted 2500.00 for them and there they sat till someone else bought them.
I think you'll love them. Yes, they can be improved on, but they do everything well and that's what makes them so good.
Thanks Rcprince new tweeters will be in on Tuesday and I will be sure to do a follow up. I'm interested in hearing the differences between them and the Vandersteen 2ci speakers.
2CJ,

It's good that your dealer is going to take care of the repair. That sounds like a much better situation for you, and I certainly hope everything goes well.
2cj, I can offer a little more support for your choice.

I owned and enjoyed a pair of Duntech Princess (purchased new) for 19 years. Anyone who knows me and the number of speakers I've owned overall will understand why that is significant. The Princess was/is the earlier sibling to the DAL SC-IV/IVa. I reluctantly sold them only due to a pending move.

While I believe the Duntech models were superior to their DAL counterparts (better driver selection and cabinet design), I had the chance to hear most DAL models and still found them to be outstanding. They are tonally very good and easy to listen to for extended periods of time. But they are also very revealing and will benefit from careful component matching and room placement.

I believe John Dunlavy was among the absolute best speaker designers and your opportunity to get one of his full range (almost) models in good condition for under $2K should be an easy choice, so long as its size is acceptable in your household.