Considering Cambridge Audio Amp/CD - Need Advice

Ok, I'm a brand new audiophile, or perhaps I should say I've been a wannabee audiophile for many years.

I just got a used pair of Paradigm 11se Mk II for $150. I know these are a bit older, but next to my previous Infinity RS-5B (which I'll have to sell now - anyone know what they're worth?), these are a huge improvement.

I've done a LOT of research and decided that all I need now are an integrated amp and a cd player. My budget is around $1,000 and from all my research, it seems my best bet is a Cambridge Audio 640A v.2 integrated amp and Cambridge Audio 640C v.2. The 640A is only 75 watts per channel, but supposedly 100 watts for 4 ohms, which is what my Paradigms are. Even though my Paradigms go up to 160 watts, with the size of the room I have, I'll never need anything close to that, so I figure that amp will suffice just fine.

So anyway, does this seem a good use of my money for a good entry level amp/cd player? Can anyone think of a better system for the money? Obviously I'll have to get a good conneting cable and speaker wire too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Brand new to Audiogon.
soulgoober
Yes, but would a 340C with a Benchmark DAC1 sound better than a Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 with the updgrades including the upsampler? The reviews for that CDP are pretty universally out of this world.

I appreciate the suggestion about the subwoofer, but I'm new to this and extremely anxious to ditch my sub-par old and error-ridden integrated amp and cd player for an upgrade to go along with my new speakers. I can get a subwoofer at any point thereafter.
And besides, my wife is already starting a complaint campaign about my new speakers.

I can't help it! They sound so much better than what I had before that I just have to keep turning it up. If I got a subwoofer right away, there might be bloodshed. ;)
Based on your budget, and the decisions already reached ... here's a suggestion. Go ahead and get the Outlaw 2150 ($650). Can't go wrong there. These are the same design elements as those used by Amplifier Technology Inc (ATI). Go to Signal Cables for all your cabling. Pick up a Sony CE595 CDP changer ($150) and get it modified ($750) by Tube Research Labs (TRL). Enjoy the music! Your total cost: approximately $1,550 - not including cabling.
I would highly, highly recommend you get the REGA Brio 3 over the Cambridge Audio integrated amp. I originally purchased a Cambridge Audio 540A V.2 and although it sounded good, it didn't sound significantly better than the "jack of all trades" Pioneer Elite receiver I replaced it with, so I returned it. I wanted a better sound/quality for the money, so I tried the Cambridge Audio 640 int. amp. and I still was not impressed, so I went with the REGA Brio 3 and I am still overwhelmed with how amazing it sounds. If you can live without the balance and tone controls, or the headphone jack, then the BRIO 3 is the best for the money that I heard bar none. You can read the reviews on it at www.audioreview.com and you will see how much better they are than the Cambridge's. The REGA is designed to be the best quality, best engineered int. amp money can buy.

As far as the CD player goes, I listened to the Rega Apollo with the Rega Brio 3 and it was astounding how good it sounded. I believe that there is something to be said for synergy with buying components from the same manufacturer, but the Apollo CD player is still getting rave reviews from people that have other int. amps. that aren't Rega. I briefly listened to a Cambridge Audio 640C CD player after listening to the Rega Apollo with the Rega Brio 3 and it just did not do anything that stood out to me. Granted, it sounded really good, but it didn't blow me away like the Rega Apollo did. I also listened to a much more expensive NAIM CD player on the Rega Brio 3 and it did not sound better than the Rega Apollo at all, I actually liked the Apollo better. With that said, I am without a CD player until I can afford an Apollo somehow because I listened to quite a few other players and it blew them all away. But if you have to stay under $1000, then I would consider a used Rega Jupiter 2000, or perhaps a Music Hall 25.2 because www.stereophile.com highly recommended it in one of their reviews.

I hope that helped!
Used Onix SP-3 ~ $450-500, new Oppo HD980 $169 + shipping and you have money left over.

Don't let the power ratings mislead, this tube amp will easily fit your needs and this combo is killer. I'm using this combo in a 2nd room with a pair of Zu Druids, Zu Gede IC's and generic 12 guage speaker cables and it's awesome.