Vandersteen 2WQ

Has anyone had any luck blending the Vandersteen 2WQ sub with any speakers other than the Vandersteen models?
timo62
@ Actusreus...
the setup has the main speakers and the sub receiving the same signal. this signal is high passed, ie, the low frequencies are gradually rolled (80 hz, 6 db per octave) between the preamp and the poweramp. the main amp and the main speakers are therefore relieved of the lowest octaves. the amp in the vandy sub then boosts the signal to recover what the high pass filter removed - it's incredibly effective and the most seamless integration i've ever attained with a sub (velodyne, jl audio, vandersteen) and mains (wilson, revel).
Thanks guys. My listening area is rather small (11x12x9 but open on one side and somewhat enlarged by another 3x7 area plus a walk-in closet and bathroom). Taming the bass is obviously a challenge and the idea of a subwoofer seems counter intuitive since I'm already trying to control what my big monitors put out. Hence my question whether adding a pair of 2WQ would actually help in my situation, or make it worse?
Actusreus , What equpiment do you use? You will need a Preamp and Amp combo to use the Crossover , or a external processor loop on an intergrated amp.

It is a easy set up and you will benefit from the extended bass. The 2WQ will tighten up the bottom end and add a lot more detail.
It has a Q control to adjust from 1 to 10. 1 being a tighter bass response and 10 a looser response depending on your room and personal preference. The output level of the 2Wq can be adjusted to match speakers with an efficiency rating
of between 82dB and 100dB. You set this to match your speaker , or to use to match volume level of speakers. Plus , you can move the sub itself to adjust bass response.

I have Vienna Acoustic Mozarts and have a new 2WQ due to arrive very soon. I am getting this sub to compensate for loose bass resonse at times from my speakers and to add more lower bass detail.
Tim,
Thank you for your response and the personal message through A-gon. Yes, installing the 2WQ would not be a problem as I have a separate line preamp and power monoblocks. I currently use a pair of the Silverline SR-17.5 monitors, and they blend in quite nicely despite the room limitations, but the bass response could certainly be improved. I've also been having some issues with one of the tweeters (see my thread here regarding speaker advice I posted a few days ago), and consider potentially replacing Silverlines with the Vandersteen 2CE, but again I'm concerned they would be too much for the room given their generous bass output. That is why I jumped into this thread with my questions. It sounds like the 2WQ would improve the overall bass response even though they would at the same time increase the actual bass output within the room boundaries, correct?
(((It sounds like the 2WQ would improve the overall bass response even though they would at the same time increase the actual bass output within the room boundaries, correct?))

Because of the Vandy high pass, you now have control on
the main speakers/amp and can adjust to preference tighten or loosen them up at the rooms resonance or overload point.
The 2WQ as mentioned above can now be adjusted for the rooms best transition blending, while achieving genuine extension lending music a more enjoyable foundation.
JohnnyR