Benchmark VS older ultrahigh end dac's in these...

Looking for detail, resolution, bass, dimensionality not built, size and what ever, its all about the sound so...

How does the Benchmark DAC compare to some of the classic dac, like the Musical Fidelity, Levinson 360, PS Audio, Goldmund, Wadia, Meridian and more?

Appreciate all the inputs...thanks
rapogee
I have more favorable feeling about the Benchmark than some of the comments above, which just underscores how much our individual preferences and systems vary. I think it's a terrific unit and, in answer to your original question, probably beats all older top-of-the-line DACs. Lots of time has passed and my system has changed a lot as well, but I would expect to prefer the Benchmark over several earlier units I had, including the Levinson No. 39, the Dodson 217 upgraded, and a heavily modified Sony SCD 777ES.

The treble on the Benchmark is definitely not from the Cardas school, but I don't feel it is incorrect. Last night, I compared mine to an Audio Note DAC1 Signature, which is a NOS, filterless, tube design. The AN is definitely sweeter and a bit softer on top, but what surprised me was that the two units sounded more alike than I would have expected.
My experience with the Benchmark matches Drubin's. I've owned one for more than a year and used it with solid state amplification from Sim Audio and tube amplification from AES/Cary. I've found it to be very transparent and neutral, never harsh or fatiguing at all. It has seemed to me to be a clean window into the rest of the system and the music.
I suggest you take Steve Nugent's "Spoiler" USB tubed DAC, clocked with his "Pacecar" into account and discussion here. As far as sound staging, width as well as depth, is concerned it has bettered in conjunction with a dedicated laptop both the DCS and the top of the line Zanden combo to these here ears. Not an easy feat. I believe Nugent also has mods for the Benchmark in his program. Should be interesting.
I replaced my musical fidelity tri-vista dac with a tube audio designs TADAC because I like the sound better. My guess is the Benchmark would loose out to the TADAC then.
Presumably the new DAC/USB/Pre model is what Benchmark would like to be assessed on. I've yet to see a detailed review. Can anyone provide one ?