ModWright Transporter

Has anybody here been exposed to the ModWright transporter?:

http://www.modwright.com/products/index.php?product_id=28

On paper (or pixels since this is the Internet) this is the reasonably priced all-in-one, file-based kind of solution I've been looking/hoping for. The 6moons review was positive, but short on detail.

Any feedback on this would be welcomed.
shazam
Cappucino,
Do you use a preamp or run the Modwright Transporter direct to your amplifiers? If preamp, have you tried running direct to amp?
Thanks
I prefer to use a good preamp. I have the latest Burmester 011 pre. I also have the latest Burmester 001 CD. I guess the Burmester 001 CD benefits from that (synergy), but the Modwright player is very very close in quality when I use the built in DACs. If I should perform a blind test I guess you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. That is quite an achievement when you compare the price. Burmester 001 is $22k, modwright <4k !

I will get the new Burmester 069 reference player soon so for future I guess I will not use the DACs in the Modwright player.

I also have the new Accuphase 700 player in my system right now. I use this for SACD. But on Redbook I find the Modwright player to equal this player!!
I considered this but could not find enough comparisons between the MW and stock to warrant belief that it is indeed better. Different, probably. But different does not equate to better, just different.

Unless updated since I read it, the 6moons review has one obvious hole in it, and that is they did not compare it to the stock TP. Obviously they liked it, and that's fine... but for a 2x premium I for one would like to know what the improvements are.

The SlimDevices forum has some extensive discussion on both sides of this coin. It would be worth a trip there IMO.

I have and enjoy the TP very much btw. No, I have not heard the MW and unless I can get an audition unit I am not about to spend $4K to find out it may or may not be better FOR ME than the stock TP. AFAIK Dan does not offer a money-back deal. Of course that is his prerogative and business model and that's fine.

But many other companies with bright ideas are open to home auditions... RedWine, Zu, NuForce come to mind right away, and I own equipment from all of these. Of course there are likely many others who supply free or low cost (say just shipping) home auditions. This very availability instills confidence in the buyer's mind and opens up a world of discussion possibilities.

To explain that last line above, it seems pretty much the only people who have heard the MW are current owners and maybe a reviewer here and there. Even these, we do not know if they have heard both but it seems unlikely. The nature of humans in general and us audiophiles in particular is that we will praise that which we have a vested interest in.

All of the above to say that I do not consider the MW TP to be a wise choice for someone who has not carefully heard both versions, unless finances are not much of an issue.
Kck, I think you hit the nail on the head. I want to actually hear the differences myself, or at least hear from someone who has. I went to the Slim Devices boards and read enough to see that for many people there wasn't a significant difference between the SqueezeBox 3 and the Transporter - even on a good hi-fi. Which left me wondering if either would be an improvement over my Sonos (which is a little grainy and jittery). On paper, the all-in-one box appeals to me (no transport jitter) and becomes even more appealing if the DAC is nice enough to run other sources through it.

Which all begs the question...how much better (if at all) is the mod versus the standard Transporter?
I agree with Kck,
The six moons review would have been much more valid had they compared a stock TP to the MW TP. This was not part of the plan.