Okay......best single box reference CD player

I currently own a CEC TL-1 transport, along with a dcs Delius and Purcell upsampler.....what one box CD player out there can deliver dynamics, transpareny, smoothness and inner detail that will outperform my current set up. Meridian 808....???? Please let me know your thoughts....
garebear
Yes, being a musician and/or hearing a lot of live acoustic music is a big plus. You get very good at hearing timbre and dynamics, particularly as a musician, since you're responsible for making it happen.

I have know several non-musicians that developed very good ears, so it's not exclusive to musicians, but they do tend to listen to live music also. In all my years as an audiophile I only met one person with really great ears that I trusted that claimed that she'd never been to a live concert. She'd been in audio as a dealer for over a decade when I met her. I think someone helped her build a very good first system (it included big electrostatics -- Beverage, anyone remember those) and by using that as a reference she then got to where she could pick between various lesser products. I consider her the exception, but I'm certain, based on her experience, that it can be done.

Dave
Garebear,

If you audition other players mentioned here or others compared to your current dcs, please share your findings here.

Thanks + Cheers!
..by the way gentlemen, the Ayre C5xe is a single box player, and as I said before has to be used in balanced mode. I heard it set up this way with dcs and through Audio Research top electronics and Wilson Alexandrias. The results in the room were defined by the tastes of the listeners...the music being played, the strengths of each of the units. The Ayre should be auditioned correctly (as should all exquipment) before final judgements be dictated as truth.
Stringreen,

What differences did you hear between the DCS and Ayre?

Which DCS? Puccini?