Magnepan 1.7s in a 10x13' dedicated room?

I'm planning on upgrading my speakers soon and want to go back to Magnepans. I'm considering MG12s but came across nearly new 1.7s on Craigs List for a good price. Problem is, my room is only 10x13x8', but I can do anything I want to it. It already has three bass traps, (two in front corners, one at ceiling wall juncture in back) and 24 1x2' Auralex absorbers spaced around the room. Floor is hardwood with a big think area rug. Anyone put 1.6s or 1.7s in a room of similar size?
linesource
Timrhu, did you have bass traps in the room?
Linesource

There are bass traps in two corners, the other corners have doors with absorption panels. If you look at my room you can see the basic position of the speakers, MG12s went in same spot. They were probably 30+ inches from the rear wall.

As another poster suggested, I recommend bringing home the resistors if the dealer has them available. They did help, just not enough for my taste.

I remember when I finally gave up and put my Kestrels back in place and resumed listening to David Crosby's If I could Only Remember My Name. The reaction was, "oh yeah." I blame the small room as I have heard Maggies, even the MMGs sound really nice in a wide open space.

Good luck with your experiment and do get back to us please.
Try them and then you will know. They should work fine.

I would suggest removing the bass traps, as the are generally not needed with Magnepans. They like minimal room treatment for best sound.

I use MG IIIa's in a small room, with home theater, on the long wall. Room width 10 feet, speakers 3 feet from rear wall, and I sit 6 feet away, right up against the wall.

I get great results! Big speakers in small rooms are fine with me.
I tried posting a followup by posting a new thread so people would more readily see it but it seems the moderators will not allow that.

I borrowed a set of MG12s from my local dealer over the weekend and they worked in my small room splendidly with a few surprises. First, I ended up with them only about 8 inches from the side walls with the tweeters on the outside. I was expecting them to work better with the tweeters on the inside to keep them further from the side walls but the soundstage was two narrow that way. The walls are treated so I'm sure that contributes to the ability to place them this way. Three feet from the wall worked great with the back of my chair eight feet from the speakers, which puts my head about two feet in front of the treated back wall. Bass extended lower than I expected and on some recordings really surprised me. Despite someones suggestion to remove the bass traps I think their presence in the room was largely responsible for the bass performance I experienced. They didn't go below 40 Hz but on some recordings 40 Hz was definitely audible and felt. I've read so many reviews that say you hear but don't really feel the bass from Magnepans. That wasn't my experience at all. I didn't feel sub bass, because it wasn't there, but the bass that was present was very impactful and highly detailed. I thought my Athena LS500bs had good bass definition, until I heard these. The Athenas go lower, but now sound muddy in comparison. I'm so pleased with how the MG12s sounded in my room I'm thinking about taking a chance on the 1.7s. I loved the size (large) of the presentation of instruments so much that now I want more!. I'm hoping the extra 5 Hz of bass extension will allow me to forgo a subwoofer. I know some people with Magnepans who simply refuse to alter the quality of Maggie bass with subwoofers. And when I eventually finish a larger space downstairs I don't want to regret not getting the larger panels.
That is good to hear. I had the same reaction to the bass when I tried the MG12s. It was lower than I expected and very clean.

Something I just tried in my 12x12 room is a diagonal setup. Not sure if it would work for the Maggies but worth a try.
Here's a link to a paper that got me started on the diagonal setup.
I have had MMGs and MG12s in a 11x11 room completely treated with acoustic foam. Speakers were about 2ft from back walls/corners with foam colomns behind, and it sounded fine... great imaging and tones, on axis of course.