Oppo as transport

Looking to hear from those who have tried Oppo DVD player(any model) as a dedicated transport to feed an outboard DAC.

1. How is the performance of this DVD player as a transport?
2. What DAC are you using with it?
3. What have you compared the Oppo to?
4. What is the reason why I would need to go with a dedicated transport instead of the Oppo.

In addition to the Oppo, I will also be running a Squeezebox connected to the DAC3(or whatever dac I decide on).

I've been contemplating to put together a digital front end consisting of Oppo(probably their mid-line model) as a transport with most likely Marigo or Virtual Dynamics digital cable, into Bel Canto DAC3. Just looking for ways to have more flexibility than I have now with a dedicated CD player.

I used to have Bel Canto DAC2 with Sony DVP-S7700 dvd player as a transport. I liked that combo and Sony was a very good transport.

If anyone did any comparison between Oppo and any other dvd player, or a dedicated transport, please share your thoughts.

Thank You.
128x128audphile1
Had an Oppo DV-970HD paired with a Channel Islands Audio VDA-2 with matching VAC-1 power supply. With the CIAs on board, it greatly helped the Oppo but when I ran them with my Sony CDP-CX240 CD megachanger, it sounded better. More detail, richer bass and mids, more depth and less digital harshness over the Oppo.
slbenz I have stated in another thread somewhere the 970 was horrible as a cd or transport...
The new oppos are not even remotely close in performance to the 970, they are excellent transports and were designed now for the purpose 3 to 4 years later... Way better and very different machines so those looking at old reviews of these DVD players first generation like many are not too keen on believe me the current machines are not even the same animal especially on audio, the 980 or the 983 might be the best representations anybody has as a universal transport now.
Sthomas,
We know there is no Oppo 871.
Could you please let us know which model you purchased please?
Thanks.
Undertow, I don't mean to doubt what you're stating here, but where did you find this info on a old vs. new Oppo players? Thanks
Audphile1
Not sure what you mean? No second hand info here, I owned them all! The 970 was a decent silver dVD player and thats it... The new ones are a whole different animal and sound great. I had a wadia CD player by the way while having the original 970, no competition, however the new 980 is 95% of the wadia and even better being its universal and great DVD on top of it, and thats without an external DAC.