DCS Puccini and/or Soulution 740 players? Anyone??

All,

I'm curious if anyone has listened to these players.

From other threads I've seen that DCS doesn't have a big following in the US probably partly because of the price. Can anyone describe the sound? I saw somewhere that people found it to be better than the Emm Labs equipment and that DCS has become more musical than the older DCS equipment.

The other player I'm very curious about is the new Soulution 740 player. A relatively new high-end brand from Switzerland. Apparently the player had its introduction at the CES 2008. Has anyone listened to it and does it is so much better than the other player considering its price?

Thanks for your feedback.
maxx1973
Mert, I stand corrected, the Meridian we auditioned was the old 808 not the 808.2 which, as you correctly stated, does not play DVD-A! There is a way to upgrade the 808 to .2 but I'm not sure about the DVD-A capability. I think Meridian dropped it.

I'm not sure there is a standard definition of an audiophile per se. In my book someone who loves music and is willing to go to some lengths to maximize the listening experience can be called an audiophile in my book. Anyway, this hobby needs to be fun, some take it much too serious...

You were a DJ? Cool, that means you are at least a music lover, the whole gear thing is secondary!
quote I was at CES and none of the rooms using DCS were among the best sounding IMHO, maybe that's a coincidence ...

how was the room of Jeff Rowland with dCS Puccini & Thiel 3.7?
Clavil, I didn't visit that room, but I know the Puccini and the Thiel's sound ... don't get me wrong the sound in these rooms were very, very good, and some have certain outstanding qualities, just overall not THE BEST to my ears.
Mtkhl567, a Meridian 808 cannot be upgraded to an 808.2 because of all the changes made inside and out (they probably should've called the new player something different, like an 809). And sonically, the two machines are different animals -- probably because the .2 uses Meridian's new "apodising" filter. I don't know how the 808.2 compares to the DCS, Soulution, or Playback Designs machines, but I preferred it head-to-head to an EMM Labs CDSD SE - DCC2 SE combo (which had previously smoked an older 808) on redbook CD's.
Interesting Cleop, the long-time Meridian dealer here said they could be upgraded...

Comparing can be a tricky thing, isolating only exactly one component with another. Don't you think? You have the 808.2? May I ask what system you run this with?