Sound through Macbook vs DAC

I have been pondering how much to spend on a DAC. But unlike normal circumstances, its not becuase I cannot decide on a model, its becuase my Macbook sounds really good even with out one! I hooked up my Dads marantz CD player for comparison. The CD player was much brighter than my Macbook, even though I had it connected with a radioshack cable. Does every computer sound really good or do Apples sound a bit better straight from the card. I relized that a DAC will increase sound stage, dynamics, and transparency, but is it worth the 2000 dollars for a bel canto? My set up includes Totem Model 1's and a Classe 151 amp. Thanks
macd
"I relized that a DAC will increase sound stage, dynamics, and transparency, but is it worth the 2000 dollars"

Nobody can answer this question but you. Benchmark DAC runs around $1000 and is good. Bel Canto DAC2 is, according to Stereophile, better - fuller, more organic but is it worth extra $1000? - again you have to answer. There are some decent DACs around $500 that might be good enough for you. Computer sound card cannot be as good as good DAC, in my opinion, but again might be good enough for you. You have to try. Benchamark has free lease (direct) for 30 days and I'm pretty sure similar can be arranged with Bel Canto or dealer. Try different cables as well.

Brighter sound is not bad (compare to dull sound) as long as it's not too bright.
Kijanki: Doesn't the stereophile review refer to the Bel Canto DAC3? Not trying at all to be picky here, just want to make sure I'm thinking of the right DAC. You can also pickup an NOS dac w/usb, of which there are now many options (Red Wine Audio, Ultra Fi, MHDT, just to name a few). You are the one who has to listen to it so I second Kijanki's comments on trying it out.
Mimberman - I think you're right it was DAC3 and it was more than $2000 (maybe $2500).
Do yourself a favor and get an Airport Express for under $100 and a decent optical cable for $50-100 (I did, but I never noticed much of a difference with cables so the $30 apple/Belkin set will do) and stream your music from your laptop wirelessly. It's so convenient and sounds great if you think straight from your laptop is good.

The AEx has a DAC in it, it sounds way better than just plugging it straight into your stereo with a 3mm RCA Y cable... IMHO (I thought it sounded good too).

I"m listening to radio paradise (online radio station) off iTunes right now and it sounds great...

I bought a Monarch M24 DAC/linestage (it's tubed) and use it as a preamp in addition to the DAC.. from Monarchy for $725. I have the AEx, an Oppo Universal DVD player and a turntable attached to it. Hell of a deal for that kind of money.

I also used an Entech 205 Numbercruncher DAC that I picked up for $150 and it sounded great.... the Paradisea DAC always gets mentioned and it's around $250.... but if you have money to burn...

Try the Airport Express though, think you'll like it. And if not, return it. You can also attach a printer to it and wirelessly print stuff off your laptop.