Sound through Macbook vs DAC

I have been pondering how much to spend on a DAC. But unlike normal circumstances, its not becuase I cannot decide on a model, its becuase my Macbook sounds really good even with out one! I hooked up my Dads marantz CD player for comparison. The CD player was much brighter than my Macbook, even though I had it connected with a radioshack cable. Does every computer sound really good or do Apples sound a bit better straight from the card. I relized that a DAC will increase sound stage, dynamics, and transparency, but is it worth the 2000 dollars for a bel canto? My set up includes Totem Model 1's and a Classe 151 amp. Thanks
macd
Mimberman - I think you're right it was DAC3 and it was more than $2000 (maybe $2500).
Do yourself a favor and get an Airport Express for under $100 and a decent optical cable for $50-100 (I did, but I never noticed much of a difference with cables so the $30 apple/Belkin set will do) and stream your music from your laptop wirelessly. It's so convenient and sounds great if you think straight from your laptop is good.

The AEx has a DAC in it, it sounds way better than just plugging it straight into your stereo with a 3mm RCA Y cable... IMHO (I thought it sounded good too).

I"m listening to radio paradise (online radio station) off iTunes right now and it sounds great...

I bought a Monarch M24 DAC/linestage (it's tubed) and use it as a preamp in addition to the DAC.. from Monarchy for $725. I have the AEx, an Oppo Universal DVD player and a turntable attached to it. Hell of a deal for that kind of money.

I also used an Entech 205 Numbercruncher DAC that I picked up for $150 and it sounded great.... the Paradisea DAC always gets mentioned and it's around $250.... but if you have money to burn...

Try the Airport Express though, think you'll like it. And if not, return it. You can also attach a printer to it and wirelessly print stuff off your laptop.
An alternative to the Benchmark for the same or less money is the Apogee Mini-DAC. Although the Benchmark is extraordinary, if you are one of those folks who find it too analytical, the Apogee will probably please you.
I want to thank you guys for your responses so early. I agree with all of you guys that i have to listen to them first and see. I have been messing around with the idea of adding an airport express. I have an airport extreme router, so it should work without any problems. I still would prefer I think running a usb dac becuase I am planning on buying a mac just for my music management. I will take all of your guys opinions on the matter and apply them the best I can. Thanks again -Darren
Paradisea for $250?? That would be a heck of a deal, new is about $600, with older models used for maybe $350. It is a good NOS DAC, but if you're looking at ones like the Benchmark or Bel Canto DAC3 (two would be cheaper) then the Apogee is a better suggestion. The Monarch is also a good choice.

You could try the Airport Express if you're happy with your soundcard(?), though it's certainly nothing to get excited about.